Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm at the point with my 97 where I need to replace my power steering pump. While I'm at it, I was going to pull it all out and rebuild the vacuum pump as well. With the research I've done, peoe are saying the drive dogs in the pump usually break off around 150k miles and leave you with no power brakes or power steering. I want to avoid this at all cost of course. I'm seeing the references to Gould's and all that but what about saving money and just getting a new one on Rock Auto for like $200?? What's been your experience?

·
Super Moderator
24,534 Posts
First time i've heard anything about the drive dogs breaking. The vacuum pump is easy to rebuild and alot cheaper then buying a new or rebuilt one.

·
Registered
17,345 Posts
A long time ago I bought a set of new vanes to put in my million mile vacuum pump. After comparing the new to the old I put the new ones in a box of parts for use on another day. IOW, other than replacing the seal there isn't anything you need to do to the pump. Drive cogs are normally broken when someone tries to just replace the power steering pump and do not remove the two pumps as a unit. It is very difficult to align the cogs with the vacuum pump mounted to the engine. Those who don't know any better just crank down the connecting bolts and do the damage.

The Gould kit is a very expensive seal replacement kit with a few pieces of PVC. Anyone with a decent socket set can install the seal without the pieces of PVC. Cummins sells a seal kit for much less. Part # 4089742 It comes with instructions but there is a couple u-tube videos also.

Not genuine Cummins but an option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You'll want to "pull it all out", the vacuum and PS pumps as a unit, anyhow. If you just pull the PS pump it's a booger to do and its' connection to the PS pump involves a round connector plate that floats in it's housing a little and may drop down when disconnected and prevent re-assembly, until you have the two pumps out on the bench up-ended so that when you position the plate so the dogs aka cogs fit in, it stays in place. Figuring to re-use my PS pump as it seemed pretty fresh but having questions about the vacuum pump, I bought the Cummins rebuild "kit" for the latter which turned out to just be an end seal and o-ring in an envelope. (This stuff has to be a tremendous cash cow for Cummins.) Not too hard to install, follow the instructions, re-using the original vanes which in my case seemed un-worn. I think most of the cost of the rebuilt vac. pump from the store involves cleaning and logistics, not parts and effort.

Anyhow, the point is, don't try to just pull the PS pump and replace that, because of the connector plate deal and also proximity to other components it's much easier to pull/re-install both pumps out as a unit and then if you want to re-seal the vac. pump it's not hard, or if you want to replace it with a rebuilt unit that's the time to do so. Then when you bolt the two pumps together, do it on a bench (again, up-ended) and be super-careful to have the drive parts indexed and fully fit together before tightening anything.

Disclaimer, I have yet to put any miles on mine but it seemed to work at start-up.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
I just did the seal on mine a few months ago. Got my reseal kit from O’Reilly’s for like 20 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your input, not as worried about the dogs breaking now. Think I'll just get a new power steering pump and seal kit for the vacuum pump.(y)(y)

·
Registered
17,345 Posts
I recommend you save yourself time and frustration by buying a new one as opposed to a parts house rebuild. These pumps have dozens of applications and are rebuilt to minimum. I replaced five of them in one year before getting smart and buying a new one. My choice Dodge Ram Borgeson Power Steering Pump 800328

·
Sasquatch
3,620 Posts
Ditto to the Borgrson. Had one in my 12 valve. That plus a new steering shaft was night and day difference.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
I agree with reseal it. Its cheap and easy. I re-sealed one recently (on an engine I'm swapping into something else), and was going to replace the vanes. The presumably stock vanes from a 330K miles pump showed very little wear. So I didn't bother to replace them.

·
Registered
23,506 Posts
Very seldom ever see a mechanical or wear issue on a vacuum pump other than seal leaks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey guys.

rebuilding by 91 d250 vaccuum pump assembly with the cummins seal kit. when driving out the main seal with 1" socket, the seal just gave way and tore. now only the seal OD remains and it's fused to the ID of seal housing. this ever happen to anyone else? any thoughts? just dig it out with a pick or flathead?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts