Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,806 Posts
not sure what the pvc pipes are for but i do believe cummins sells the kit for half the price minus the pvc pipe and dvd. They look like the ones form cummins

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are for pressing the seals in and out i believe. im sure i just need the outer seal but i just turned 175,000 on the truck so might as well do the whole rebuild.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,806 Posts
They are for pressing the seals in and out i believe. im sure i just need the outer seal but i just turned 175,000 on the truck so might as well do the whole rebuild.
I've done 4 of them and never used pvc for that. Yea while you have it out its the best time to do it all. I wont even put an engine in a truck till i rebuild the pump.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
if you have you ESN (engine serial number) you can register for free on quickserve. then any cummins parts you need you can look up and take the part number with you to cummins to order. best part, it automatically updates the p/n. saves you time at the parts store... and then you also have access to the cummins service department. and some of their tech articles.... and some seriously killer wiring schematics for the isb.... seriously no doubt what wire does what and goes where.....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks, im registering now. what do you recommend for power steering fluid? never flushed one before, thinking i pull the return line and run it into a jug or something while adding fresh just my thought, sure someone around here has a write up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well it was a pain getting the ESN off the block (so oxidized). What a nice web site. I got the part number and just found a cummins dealer about 30 minutes from here. But ill have to wait till next friday if they arent open tomorrow. will try and call and see if they can order it or hopefully have it on the shelf. i googled the part number and puredieselpower has it for 15 dollars and says its from cummins. 4 piece kit. might just go that route.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Reactions: Off-road

·
Registered
21,679 Posts
When you replace the seal, if it has a groove in the shaft, set the seal in a slightly different position deeper or shallower to avoid running in that old groove.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just picked the kit up from cummins. Was $15.00 not bad. It has the double seal in the kit. Am i right that the factory installed is a single lip? And i feel like 18 dollars for an oil filter is crazy but whatever , it saved me a trip.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.