Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is up in arms about what to buy. He hasn't had a new vehicle since the 90's! He is the type that buys and drives until they die! He isn't sure if he wants to buy a diesel because of the high fuel costs. So he has a 22 ft bass boat and a 20 something foot tow behind camper, these are the toys he tows. Does the cost of owning a diesel these days warrant a diesel in his case or should he stay with gas? He is open to any truck he isn't really brand loyal. And he tows the boat a lot.

:beer

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I would buy a Hemi with a lifetime wrranty if I was him.. Drive it forever...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
if he tows them a lot IT will make a WORLD of difference... shoot from some guys I have talked to with the Hemi's they are only getting like 13mpg daily driving... (someone correct me if im wrong) So i would DEF say pulling those tows it would make a diff

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
if he tows them a lot IT will make a WORLD of difference... shoot from some guys I have talked to with the Hemi's they are only getting like 13mpg daily driving... (someone correct me if im wrong) So i would DEF say pulling those tows it would make a diff
So how long would it take to make up the cost diffrence of the truck to start with, Oil changes and the added cost of Insurance and the extra cost of diesel?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I know in my '04 Z71 I was getting 12-14. In my new CTD I get from 16-20. Even though diesel costs more per gallon, the gasser costs more per mile to run! Example:

Z71- 24 gallon tank
3.45 per gallon
14 mpg
= $82.80 Fill-up, 336 miles per tank
= 0.246 cents per mile

CTD- 34 gallon tank
4.00 per gallon
18 mpg
= $136.00 Fill-up, 612 miles per
tank
= 0.222 cents per mile

The numbers don't lie! Tell him to get a CTD!!!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
my boss has an 06 hemi and it gets 10.8 mpg! f-that get a CTD! and fuel here is 3.75 for regular and 4.19 for diesel.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
If he holds onto the rig long term then i would think the diesel is the way to go. Over time the MPG savings will eventually catch up, not to mention resale value.

·
Registered
23 Posts
it takes 5 years worth of fuel to out weigh the added cost of a diesel. Factor in higher maintance cost and the fact he only tows 3000LBS the diesel isn't for him. Atleast not a new diesel.

If he was smart he would look at an 05-06, better milage will help.

With the cost of diesel resell Value has gone way down. This is why I suggest a used unit. He can pick it up for much less than new and all of the new diesel milage sucks

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
WOW reg gas is 3:57 here and diesel is 4:26.

On top of that you cannot rule in the factor that it will outlast a gasser anymore seeing how they have a lifetime warranty now.. Something the diesel does not have...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts