Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a set of HID fog lights. I need 9006 bulbs, which the box says, as well as the protective cases that hold the bulbs. The label on the wiring on the other hand says 9005.:doh: HOW CAN I TELL WHAT I ACTUALLY HAVE:confused013::confused013:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I just ordered a set of HID fog lights. I need 9006 bulbs, which the box says, as well as the protective cases that hold the bulbs. The label on the wiring on the other hand says 9005.:doh: HOW CAN I TELL WHAT I ACTUALLY HAVE:confused013::confused013:

Thanks

Where did you order them from? 9005 is similar to a 9006 but they are based differently. They will not work in your application. If it says 9006 on the box and protective plastic I would assume they are actually 9006. Sometimes the base of the bulb is molded with 9006 on there, check the black plastic base to see if it has that.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what do I do:confused013: There are marking in 5 different spots (the outside of the box, the plastic protective housing, label on wire) and 3 of them say 9006 and 2 of them say 9005:banghead:

·
08 Cummins
2,146 Posts
If I remember correctly, the 9005 socket has 2 keys in it and the 9006 socket has 1 key in it. That is the easiest way that I know of to tell the difference.

You can use a 9005 (high beam) bulb in the fog lights as well with a little modification.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
doesn't matter in this case, the bulb doesn't have the same connector as the truck. It goes through the ballast first. Easiest way to check. See if it fits in your fog lights. If it does it's a 9006, if it doesn't it's a 9005

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doesn't matter in this case, the bulb doesn't have the same connector as the truck. It goes through the ballast first. Easiest way to check. See if it fits in your fog lights. If it does it's a 9006, if it doesn't it's a 9005
When you say check...are you talking about the connection, or if the bulb psychically fits in the housing?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
When you say check...are you talking about the connection, or if the bulb psychically fits in the housing?
yes, try to fit the bulb in the housing. If it doesn't fit than it's a 9005. If it does fit than it's a 9006.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
sweet! looks like someone checked the wrong box on the sticker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts