Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this is the right board for this .

Im a petroleum Tech and Im seeing this in about all the USLD tanks at stations .

for referance that float is 4" in dia . I hear it is a result of a 2% low grade bio added to ULSD to help lube . Waiting on return results on test.

Luckly regular flow pumps run 30 micron filters so most of it is being stoped before your tank.

But do not use ultra high or high flow pumps , no filters , your pumping crud like this in your tank.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
How old is the tank?

When was the switch over to ULSD?

You never seen any thing like that in LSD tanks?

Need answers to evaluate properly.

Running good filters is the key to any diesel system. I also agree that high pressure pumps are not good as they can push more gunk through a filter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is the tank?10 to 15 years old.

When was the switch over to ULSD?
A few months ago , which has been the normal cruve for this to show up.

You never seen any thing like that in LSD tanks?
Nope LSD tanks most of the time just have normal sludge and water issues.

Need answers to evaluate properly.

Running good filters is the key to any diesel system. I also agree that high pressure pumps are not good as they can push more gunk through a filter.
I want to post this he primarily to show this is a issue .

Im working on a thread on tips on picking a good fuel stop . I will be posting it soon.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I guess my point in asking questions was to determine if it's the bio-diesel causing problems, the ULSD causing problems.

I know that ULSD will pickup water better/faster than LSD and bio-fuel will also absorb more moisture.

This is the reason I tell people to use a Baldwin PF7977 fuel filter in their stock filter housing on Dodge Cummins.

Fleetguard = 7 & 10 micron rating with water stripping capable.
Mopar = 7 & 10 micron rating with water stripping capable.
Baldwin PF7977 = 5 micron rating with water stripping capable.

There are some filter with even less micron rating but are not water stripping capable.

Water in your fuel is your fuel systems worst enemy. Even crude contamination can be filtered out but water will destroy your system fast.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Im working on a thread on tips on picking a good fuel stop . I will be posting it soon.
Will be looking forward to it. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts