Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dan
I have a Fass system. so I bypassed the stocker. but now I want to use the stock filter housing is there a kit for this are do i make it up as i go along
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Dan
I have a Fass system. so I bypassed the stocker. but now I want to use the stock filter housing is there a kit for this are do i make it up as i go along
Thanks
Just use the same fittings that you have hooked up to the injection pump. Its the same. Shorten the line and hook up the stock between the filter and IP...and you are good to go.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another Question

Thanks Dan, Can tell me what pressure I should have on my gauge (before the cp3)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Dan I've got 15 psi

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just use the same fittings that you have hooked up to the injection pump. Its the same. Shorten the line and hook up the stock between the filter and IP...and you are good to go.
Ok maybe I'm missing something but the stock supply line for the tank goes into the stock lift pump. the pump is mounted on the stock filter housing there is know fitting after the pump it hook the Fass supply line too. know I haven't the removed the stock lift pump, is there something under it that I'm missing
thank
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
You need the adapter to go in place of the filter mounted lift pump.
Good catch....for some reason i thought he had a 98.5-02...but yes..you will need on of our FP-1001 filter plates to take the place of your stock lift pump. You might call a FASS dealer as they might have a few extra. The kits for the 98.5-02 trucks come with one but its not used.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you both. for your help:beer

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just read this thread (and a couple of more) and I am getting ready to go to a FASS pump on my 2002 with in tank lift pump that I think has either quit or is real weak - I think it might have been a factory LP replacement but it was on the truck when I got it. I also have an aux LP frame mounted between the tank and the Injection Pump wired direct to battery through a switch and a relay.

I have a few questions.

Is there any advantage to keeping the stock fuel filter in place - I know a lot of people by pass it. It seems like extra filtration and water seperation would be a good thing. Any down side to keeping it??

One thread seemed to say that the FASS is designed to let fuel bypass the pump but go through the FASS water seperator and fuel filter when the pump is not running.

Did I understand that correctly?? I want to keep the existing frame mounted LP as a spare and as a way to easily prime all filters after I have changed them out and if something happens to the FASS have a back up to continue on by just turning it on.

So if I put a"T"' in line from the tank to FASS pump line, run the main line to the FASS pump intake side and another to the aux intake side and another "T" from the aux exit to the Fass intake side(creating a loop) it should work to prime both the Fass Filters and the stock filter because it will let the aux push fuel through the FASS filters to the stock filter. Correct?? If I do this should I put in a shut off on each side of the aux LP to keep fuel from pushing through the aux when it is not running or does it matter??

Finally if I use the stock filter I just run the FASS exit line to the stock filter housing and up grade the line size/banjo bolts from the stock filter to the Injection Pump to ensure I'm getting plenty of fuel to the IP.

Am I tracking.

Thanks.

LBM:hyper:

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I just read this thread (and a couple of more) and I am getting ready to go to a FASS pump on my 2002 with in tank lift pump that I think has either quit or is real weak - I think it might have been a factory LP replacement but it was on the truck when I got it. I also have an aux LP frame mounted between the tank and the Injection Pump wired direct to battery through a switch and a relay.

I have a few questions.

Is there any advantage to keeping the stock fuel filter in place - I know a lot of people by pass it. It seems like extra filtration and water seperation would be a good thing. Any down side to keeping it??

One thread seemed to say that the FASS is designed to let fuel bypass the pump but go through the FASS water seperator and fuel filter when the pump is not running.

Did I understand that correctly?? I want to keep the existing frame mounted LP as a spare and as a way to easily prime all filters after I have changed them out and if something happens to the FASS have a back up to continue on by just turning it on.

So if I put a"T"' in line from the tank to FASS pump line, run the main line to the FASS pump intake side and another to the aux intake side and another "T" from the aux exit to the Fass intake side(creating a loop) it should work to prime both the Fass Filters and the stock filter because it will let the aux push fuel through the FASS filters to the stock filter. Correct?? If I do this should I put in a shut off on each side of the aux LP to keep fuel from pushing through the aux when it is not running or does it matter??

Finally if I use the stock filter I just run the FASS exit line to the stock filter housing and up grade the line size/banjo bolts from the stock filter to the Injection Pump to ensure I'm getting plenty of fuel to the IP.

Am I tracking.

Thanks.

LBM:hyper:
I feel running the stock filter head is redundant and not needed. Even in the winter if you run the correct fuel and add the appropriate additives.

EH....well i would plumb it just a tad different if you were going to go that route. AND You can make this as simple or complicated as you want.

If you wanted to mount a "Spare" pump...i would plumb it in series with the pressure fuel line, but isolated by 2 ball valves. (Ill see if I can draw a VERY crude flow schematic) You would also need a 3rd in between the 2 valves to keep from having pressure and suction mix (Unless you used 2, 3 way valves...that would work better, just make sure they don’t cause restriction).

Then on the FASS, you can leave the FASS in place and allow fuel to be drawn though it, or make a by pass line with 2, 3 way valves to allow removal repair if needed.

• The small black squares are the Valves. The medium square is the CP3 or VP-44
  • The big gray square is the Tank.
  • Small red square is your aux pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
:hyper::cool:
I feel running the stock filter head is redundant and not needed. Even in the winter if you run the correct fuel and add the appropriate additives.

EH....well i would plumb it just a tad different if you were going to go that route. AND You can make this as simple or complicated as you want.

If you wanted to mount a "Spare" pump...i would plumb it in series with the pressure fuel line, but isolated by 2 ball valves. (Ill see if I can draw a VERY crude flow schematic) You would also need a 3rd in between the 2 valves to keep from having pressure and suction mix (Unless you used 2, 3 way valves...that would work better, just make sure they don’t cause restriction).

Then on the FASS, you can leave the FASS in place and allow fuel to be drawn though it, or make a by pass line with 2, 3 way valves to allow removal repair if needed.

• The small black squares are the Valves. The medium square is the CP3 or VP-44
  • The big gray square is the Tank.
  • Small red square is your aux pump.
THANKS - Makes sense - just pull the stock filter off and route direct to Inj Pump (V44).

If I use 3 way ball valves go big so there is no restriction 3/4" valve reduced to 1/2" fuel line should work.

Go through FASS or by pass FASS.

My first thought was to go through FASS and use the aux as a way to prime IP & FASS after changing filters. Save ware and tear on the FASS. Any reason not to do this?? If the FASS quits and I need the aux will the FASS provide restriction or free flow if it is not running. I see you showed the bypass as a way to just switch over to aux if FASS needs to be removed.

With the internal/external pump set up I have now I'm not real sure but I suspect the internal fuel pump is a restriction to the external pump if it is not working - is that correct.

Finally I see by your drawing that the return line is going from the pump to the tank and not the IP to the tank. Doesn't the return line come from the IP itself???. 2002 stock pump which I understand is the VP.

Thanks again I really appreciate this.

Do you sell FASS direct?? If so please send me a price.

Does FASS come with a draw straw or do you just use the stock non pump sending unit even with the 150 gpm pump???

Plan is to order what I need and have it here to make the change in about a week.

Thanks again.

LBM

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
:hyper::cool:

THANKS - Makes sense - just pull the stock filter off and route direct to Inj Pump (V44).

If I use 3 way ball valves go big so there is no restriction 3/4" valve reduced to 1/2" fuel line should work.

Go through FASS or by pass FASS.

My first thought was to go through FASS and use the aux as a way to prime IP & FASS after changing filters. Save ware and tear on the FASS. Any reason not to do this?? If the FASS quits and I need the aux will the FASS provide restriction or free flow if it is not running. I see you showed the bypass as a way to just switch over to aux if FASS needs to be removed.

With the internal/external pump set up I have now I'm not real sure but I suspect the internal fuel pump is a restriction to the external pump if it is not working - is that correct.

Finally I see by your drawing that the return line is going from the pump to the tank and not the IP to the tank. Doesn't the return line come from the IP itself???. 2002 stock pump which I understand is the VP.

Thanks again I really appreciate this.

Do you sell FASS direct?? If so please send me a price.

Does FASS come with a draw straw or do you just use the stock non pump sending unit even with the 150 gpm pump???

Plan is to order what I need and have it here to make the change in about a week.

Thanks again.

LBM
We dont sell direct, so I ask you talk to a vendor on here or go to our web site and use our dealr locator.

If you are going to put that pump in to assist our for priming and such...I feel you will be wasting your time. Our's is a positive displacment pump, when primed correctly, it doesnt need any help.

The engine has its own return. And the FASS has its own return.

The only kits that come with a draw tube is the 200 GPH kits. You dont need that much...heck you will be fine with 95 GPH to be honest.

If you have the intank pump now, you need to get a suction tube seporate. OR...you can just order a kit for a 2005+ Dodge and it will be set up already with the items you need to do the install.

Here is what i would suggest:

FASS 95/95-1008 (AND if you have the intank pump you will need a STK-1001 on top of that)

OR you can do this if you know you have the intank pump:

FASS 95/95-1007 -- Thats it. Comes with a draw tube and harness that connects to the tank that disables the pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts