Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if we can burn the red fuel in the 6.7. I have a guy that brings me off road fuel cheap but I wasn't sure if I can use it in my truck? It's an 07.5 6.7 stock and 1800 mi.

·
It's got 12 Valves...
5,009 Posts
Well other than being illegal..as long as it is Ultra-Low Sulfur 15PPM you should be fine.

Red diesel used to be Low Sulfur 500PPM...but I have since heard that pretty much all diesel is now Ultra-Low 15PPM just the red is tax free. So if it is Ultra-Low you should be fine...not worth it IMO in getting caught with it. Find out what the sulfur content is on the fuel and go from there. The new 6.7 is supposed to run only Ultra-Low....but then again if you remove the DPF and emissions stuff then might be good for Low Sulfur since from what I have read that is one of the main reasons for Ultra Low. Hope this helps :thumbsup.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Well other than being illegal..as long as it is Ultra-Low Sulfur 15PPM you should be fine.

Red diesel used to be Low Sulfur 500PPM...but I have since heard that pretty much all diesel is now Ultra-Low 15PPM just the red is tax free. So if it is Ultra-Low you should be fine...not worth it IMO in getting caught with it. Find out what the sulfur content is on the fuel and go from there. The new 6.7 is supposed to run only Ultra-Low....but then again if you remove the DPF and emissions stuff then might be good for Low Sulfur since from what I have read that is one of the main reasons for Ultra Low. Hope this helps :thumbsup.

:agree2::agree2::agree2::agree2::agree2:

·
Registered
929 Posts
does anyone know what the fine is? i've heard something about you getting taxed by the mileage on your truck.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I am a pipeline operator here in S.W. Louisiana. We pump a variety of diesel fuels from the local refineries. The red dyed diesel we pump is around 1800-2000 ppm sulfur, low sulfur diesel is less than 500 ppm (typically in the 300's) and then the ULSD is around 5-8 ppm when we put it in the line. Red dyed diesel is also known as heating oil. We move fuels from the South through Atlanta and then up to Staten Island.

With all of this said, I doubt that red diesel is low in sulfur.

I have heard of people running it once they delete the dpf's, but I also heard that the injectors weren't designed for it and it may clog them. Now that is all heresay so if I'm wrong, It's just what i've heard. . .

·
Registered
506 Posts
In florida the last I heard the first time is a lump sum and so much a gallon left in your truck. I got checked a couple of months ago on the job site by a goverment official. He said it had to be so many parts dyed fuel to taxed fuel to get fined. I forget what % it had to be.

R

·
0 Posts
Our off road, (red) is usld. I run a 2007 grove 60 ton hydrolic truck crane. It has a 450 hp cummins with all the same garbage as are trucks have, except not quite as bad, but close. Anyway, it runs on ulsd only, and our red is just that. Now if I got cought with it in my truck, they can take my truck right on the spot. I don't know if they actually have done that, but I wouldn't put it past the DOT here in Iowa.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here in South Carolina the Feds use a litmus type test and if the RED fuel is indicated then you are fined based on your tanks capacity, not how much you have left in there. They assume that the entire tank is full or was full of the red.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i have 40000 on red fuel and no problems i did delete my dpf though hope this helps

·
Registered
733 Posts
We have a 12,000 gal diesel tank at work so we can fill our trucks(Border Patrol) and since we are the "G" we get red dye fuel at a deep discount rate. We have had good luck with all of our 04,05,06 trucks, but the 07 and especially the 08 Fords that we have have had injector problems, and we are now required to fill up at the local gas station with ULS diesel if were driving a 07 or 08 truck.

This of course could just be a fluke in a few trucks, and maybe a little bit of sludge in the tanks, but just my .02 worth.

For what its worth, I've filled up 3 times with LS diesel thru my 6.7L when I couldn't find ULS and I never had a problem.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts

Red Diesel use to be High Sulfer Diesel 500ppm or higher or it may have been 1500ppm or lower i can not remember the number anymore. But before ULSD was introduce to us we had two choices. LSD or HSD which was non highway use diesel(red dye).

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
We have a 12,000 gal diesel tank at work so we can fill our trucks(Border Patrol) and since we are the "G" we get red dye fuel at a deep discount rate. We have had good luck with all of our 04,05,06 trucks, but the 07 and especially the 08 Fords that we have have had injector problems, and we are now required to fill up at the local gas station with ULS diesel if were driving a 07 or 08 truck.

This of course could just be a fluke in a few trucks, and maybe a little bit of sludge in the tanks, but just my .02 worth.

For what its worth, I've filled up 3 times with LS diesel thru my 6.7L when I couldn't find ULS and I never had a problem.
If yall filtered it through a 2 micron filter and the filters where changed on a regular basis that would make a huge difference on the life of the Fuel system.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What about a filter for the red dye ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about using the FASS system with it? Or i guess that still does nothing for the sulfer content.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Can't comment on the suitability in 6.7s or 5.9s but my neighbor, when I was living in the Seattle area, told me it's a $1000 fine-and he learned the hard way :$:. Could of been BS-ing me but I'm not sure why he would have done so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I maybe I look at it the wrong way but isn't it a fine for taking the dpf and converter off and 5% tint on the windows and doing 80 in a 55. Its all in how bad you want it i guess.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What about a filter for the red dye ?
If you fill up a bunch of 1 gallon plastic milk jugs (or some other clear container) and leave them in the sun for a few days it will bleach the dye out. Not exactly a high volume method but it does work...

I've been wondering about adding 2-stroke oil to the red fuel. I havent tried it but im suspicious the blue color of the oil might mask the red fuel (maybe). I might try that this afternoon.

·
It's got 12 Valves...
5,009 Posts
Well I maybe I look at it the wrong way but isn't it a fine for taking the dpf and converter off and 5% tint on the windows and doing 80 in a 55. Its all in how bad you want it i guess.

Not a fine for taking the DPF to my knowledge..other than loss of warranty at dealer :thud:. Converter and 5% tint both are tickets which yes is still illegal.....but a lot less than getting caught running the red fuel :$: :$: :$:....and who doesn't speed on occasion :w:. But hey many have done it for a while and never been caught...so I say it is your truck and your fines so do what you want :beer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i think the fine in N.C. is $10000 just for having it and $1000 for every gallon in the tank

1 - 20 of 52 Posts