Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in need of some information. i found a good deal on a complete 1995 v10 truck with a 5 speed and am considering swapping the 5 speed into my 98 cummins automatic. I see a few guys have done it but havent seen any details on the subject. is there a differnece in wiring? will i need a different pcm? i know that the trans will bolt up and ill need to use the driveshafts and transfer case from the 95. I also saw someone mention about needing a different flex plate?

Any input would be helpful
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
well considering you are swaping to manual you will have a flywheel not a flex plate. buy a nice flywheel/clutch/pressure plate kit from southbend they have a nice upgraded HD pilot bearing in flywheel. wiring is simple for nv4500 just one 2 pin plug for reverse lights. then there is a 3 pin connector on auto trans middle wire needs to be grounded through clutch safety switch. Or you could be bold and ground it to the frame which is not a good idea due to the ability to start the truck in gear with no clutch. the other 2 wires are for reverse lights. hook those 2 wires to the switch on the top of the nv4500 shift cover. the swap will be really easy with a donor truck i am in the middle of my swap in my 95 the hardest part is sourcing all the little parts. good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would be interested in your pcm if you have to or can get another. I am dire need of a 98 auto pcm. thanks!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also I have a 97 manual trans pcm and harness the flywheel and everything you need if you want to trade!!

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Also I have a 97 manual trans pcm and harness the flywheel and everything you need if you want to trade!!
97 PCM/harness wont be any good in his 98, the body harness is completely different

Aren't the manual trans 29 spline output and the auto's 23 spline?
Yes they have different spline outputs, but like he already mentioned, he will be using the tcase and shafts from the donor truck.

You could always continue to use your auto PCM, but finding a manual PCM would be best!

And like mentioned, doing the 13" clutch upgrade would be the best route to go. You will have a nice new flywheel, and a good clutch!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey that was one of my original conserns was the difference in pcm. well the deal on the truck fell through so i didnt get it. and after talking to a local shop it just so happens there a GOREND prefered installer. so i think ill be going the built automatic route. unless i stumble across another v10 5spd for a killer deal. haha but thanks anyway

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am thinking about doing the opposite right now

I have a 98 12v cummins that I am tired of shifting I am looking to put an auto in it then eventually build it I am looking for all the parts I would need to make my swap would you consider working something out part for part ??? What's your location I live in Pa 7243444340

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Tell you what 98 cummins. I'll be headed back to pa here in about 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure everything would be interchangable between the 24v and 12v other than the pcm if your interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts