Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering if anyone here puts some of thier used oil in their fuel tank. Was thinking like a quart or so per tank or would this be a serious no-no???

·
Registered
573 Posts
used oil- no it would probably clog your filters fairly quickly. Seems like a lot of people are running 2stroke oil with favourable results tho.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
If filtered it's *okay* to run in the older trucks but wouldn't recommend it for you...if you want to run something (though i'm assuming you just want to get rid of old oil) do as ryan mentioned and run 2-stroke oil (non-synthetic, TCW-3, ashless).

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you are looking for lubricity, Try the FS20000 filter setup from Fleetguard. I have it but it is not yet installed. It is a self doseing 5 micron filter kit. I talked to a fella that worked for Cummins (and still works in the truck industry) and he claimed that it would not increase fuel efficiency BUT in the long run you will see longer life of these spendy a$$ fuel systems in this Generation.

He said that when this new ULSD came out, Cummins put out a statement saying you should put in a lubricity additive with every tank of fuel. This setup is for outfits that burn ULSD,Jet-A and other "Dry Fuels".

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
i agree with awthenol, i wouldnt run used oil thru a high pressure common rail system. i use power services diesel kleen for extra lube and hear a noticable difference. i lost mpg running 2 cycle oil but lots of people have scene favorable results

·
Registered
451 Posts
what do your mpg do with your diesel kleen? notice a diff either way?

·
Banned
333 Posts
On the magnetic plug I have on my oil pan there is a really fine metal that is from engine wear, and I would think it could be in the oil you drain and want to put in your tank.
If your truck is the CR high pressure fuel system, I wouldn't do it!! for what you are trying to accomplish isn't worth the future risk to your engine. Just my .02

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Guys: For your information, Roadway Transportation never changes the oil in their tractors, just the filter, and adds make up oil. In stead, there is a metering system which injects predetermined amunt of engine oil into the fuel system, and make up oil is added daily when the truck is fueled.
Ryder Truck rental has a wheeled buggy, containing a couple of pumps, one of the old canister bypass filters, with all of their trucks equipt with a large hydraulic connector with a mating hose on the cart, Then two different hoses both into the fuel tank, with the pumped out lubricating oil filtered, mixed, and blended with fuel from the tank, and then returned via the last hose. It takes about an hour to run the 12 to 13 gallons of lubricating oil through the large filter, then blend it and return it to the fuel tank, but there is no hassle getting rid of used oil, and it reduces fuel costs slightly. So if you had a way of properly filtering the used lubricating oil, and then space it out to never have more than one gallon per tankful of fuel, sure it will work, with no tragic results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts