Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 473 Posts

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone has used or heard of using used engine oil as a fuel. A buddy of mine got this idea from another guy that was running it in his PS. The mixture is 75% used engine oil, 20% diesel, and 5% gasoline. He has been slowly phasing it in and running it in his tractors and says that he hasn't noticed any performance issues. Any other thought on this??? He asked me to get some input about it before he goes and puts it in his 04. Oh and he is filtering the mix with 2 1 micron filters so it is very clean. Thanks.

Austin

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
even with 2 micron filter i wouldnt use used oil in an electronically injected engine

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He wants to find an old Dodge to run it through just to see what it does and if it toasts the engine no loss. Just and excuse to build a pulling truck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
should be fun building a pulling truck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Frankly from what you are saying, I'd be more concerned about the gasoline than the used motor oil. Ryder Truck Rentals have for many years pumped the used lubrication oil from an engine, filtered it, and blended with fuel then pumped back into the fuel tanks of the unit it came out of. Several other of the larger freight delivery companies use a small blender which injects engine lubricating oil into the fuel system, while operating. They never change the oil, just add make up at each fuel stop, and change the oil filter. Believe me when I say neither of these companies would do this if their engineers and tests from prior years were not extremely positive in results.
If someone has a means of pumping oil through a decent filtration system, then allowed it to settle, I would have no fears concerning running such oil blended with fuel, but in a 10% or less mixture.

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'd think that the gasoline would cause a knock due to the high compression but he says that it runs normal. No knock at all.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
my dad runs a 50/50 blend in his 97. he has a holding tank on his flatbed so he just adds it into there first, then pumps it into the truck, so it gets filtered. he hasnt had any problems yet, and I am definately looking into making a filtration setup at my house for my truck.

Home claims to be running 95% used oil in their cummins ram. but they have a pic of a 2nd gen on the main page, but they state that they have a 92.....

edit: you can also run ATF which my dad said is better because its thinner

·
PA VP ONE TUFF O3
2,124 Posts
it shows a CR truck but how bad is used motor oil if it filtered like crazy and add diesel to it

2006 Dodge 2500 crew cab 2wd: runs a 30/70 mix, 26 mpg's
2001 Dodge 2500 2wd: runs a 50/50 mix, 22 mpg's
1995 Dodge 3500 2wd: runs a 60/40 mix, 20 mpg's
1996 Volkswagen Passat TDI: runs a 60/40 mix, 50 mpg's
1994 Ford 250 ext cab 2wd: runs a 80/20 mix winter, 90/10 summer, 20 mpg's
1992 Dodge 250 ext cab 2wd: runs a 95/5 mix year round, 25 mpg's
1985 Ford F350 2wd: runs a 70/30 mix, 16 mpg's
1982 Mercedes 300SD: runs a 70/30 mix, 30 mpg's
1985 Mercedes 300 TD: runs a 80/20 mix, 31 mpg's
1985 Mercedes 300SD: runs a 80/20 mix, 29 mpg's
Misc. farm tractors, John Deere, Massey, Kubota, Case: run 80/20 mixtures year round

·
Registered
33 Posts
Used engine oil is saturated with metal. Even though it is filtered oil, the detergent has likely turned it black with carbon deposits. It may be a good fuel for your furnace or a waste oil burner, but I don't know if it is a good choice for this beautiful new engine. I might try in a older engine say with over 300,000 miles or in a farm tractor to test it and see what the results are.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
75% used engine oil? How often is this guy changing his oil? :lol3: Where would you get large quantities of used engine oil? Does it matter if its oil that was used in gasoline engines (because of the lower viscosity)?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
my dad runs a 50/50 blend in his 97. he has a holding tank on his flatbed so he just adds it into there first, then pumps it into the truck, so it gets filtered. he hasnt had any problems yet, and I am definately looking into making a filtration setup at my house for my truck.

Home claims to be running 95% used oil in their cummins ram. but they have a pic of a 2nd gen on the main page, but they state that they have a 92.....

edit: you can also run ATF which my dad said is better because its thinner
Hmmn, I checked out the site and now i'm really curious. Would this help extend the life of my VP-44? Also, is there anything special about their "unit" because if not, i'm pretty sure I can make a filter/pump for less than $1,000.00

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think it matters what type of engine oil. He is running 75/25 mix in the tractor at the moment and its runninig like a top.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Hmmn, I checked out the site and now i'm really curious. Would this help extend the life of my VP-44? Also, is there anything special about their "unit" because if not, i'm pretty sure I can make a filter/pump for less than $1,000.00
Bump... This is really interesting, i'd like to see more responses on this thread.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Cummins has a system, Centinal, that takes used engine oil and runs it back to the fuel tanks. Very little at a time though. It has a make up oil tank on it so it keeps the engine oil at the full mark and you just top off the make up tank. Its only used on the heavy duty engines though. Pre 07 also.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

im with you on this one... i know i could make it up but idk about this military filtration pod he talks about that is the life of the system and located in the second tank... that would be the only thing that i would be worried about.... but i am highly interested in this since my dad has two peterbilts and thats ten gallons of oil a pop and oil changes come frequently with them... i want to do this

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm working on one now. I need to find a 2 micron filter tha will fit a Goldenrod bowl.

Ops

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ya, i started doing this time wise, not all that long ago, but ive ran probably 2000 miles now, now problems. My truck sounds AWESOME, much less diesel clatter. Ive ran mixes from 50/50 up to probably 80 percent oil. Averaged close to 25 mpg. One thing that i have noticed with above 60 or 70% oil is that it runs pretty clean when its up to temp. It starts up a bit smokey, and if im cruising and stop, exhaust is 100% clean, but if i go in the store and let idle for 5 minutes it goes back to being a little smokey. Im pretty sure my filter is starting to die, because its starting to spudder just a little bit every once in a while. Ive only been filtering down to 5 micron.
Im working on a new system now, it will be filtered down to 1 micron before it goes in the new auxiliary tank, then though a coolent heat exchanger, tank switch over valves, then a 12v heater (vegmax) then into the stock fuel heater/fuel filter and into the injection pump.
The goal is 180 degrees and running it straight!!!! I'll report back and let you know how it goes.
Right now i love the mix but at over $5 a gallon, i don't even want to pay for 25% diesel

·
Registered
576 Posts
Oh ya, anyone tried this with a VP-44??
or anyone tried heated straight Veggie oil with the VP?? id imagine it would work better than veggie oil because better lubing. Doesn't the VP use fuel to cool it though??? that could be bad
(my buddies truck... i would never abandon my 12v well maybe eventually for a CR)

1 - 20 of 473 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.