Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. How many of you are running a US Gear dual range? How many have had the small ecu/controller box burn up. Mine did and i made an entire wire harness setup to over come the problem. Im rewriting my schematic so i can upload it but if anyone needs help please let me know. Its fairly simple and only took a few hours, with some trial and error. Currently im running a simple on/offpower switch next to my pull switch (5 speed truck) to power the unit on and off. I am in the process of ordering timed relays to eliminate this and clean up the shifter setup. I will let you know how it goes when i have them in. Of course as you may have found out US Gear was bought out, and when that happened the current owner shut down the dual range assembly line and scrapped all spare parts. They are getting harder to come by but with a few cross references im sure we can find parts to do a rebuild. I also have the fluid specs. I absolutely love mjne and use it every day daily driving. It allows so many more cruising gears and far less actual clutch shifting. Let me know you likes/dislikes, problems and solutions. My favorite part is that it can be used with 4x4 unlike a gear vendors or other like companies that place it behind the transfer case. :party018::party018::laugh:

·
Registered
463 Posts
i was able to find one and was planning on using it...BUT it was for a 2wd nv4500...so i think i'm going to modify it and mount it behind my tcase and only use when in 2/HI.

i think my servo/motor is bad since the PO said it wouldn't shift anymore. after looking at some pictures on Google...looks like there could be an option for a manual shifter...and have to use the clutch...but that's fine by me.

its a "on the list" kind of project so i'm in no rush...but yeah...they are hard to come by now...especially where i live.

looking forward to your progress.

BJ

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may not be the servo. The little controller boxes are known to fry, which is why i had to make my own essentially making a harness and using relays. Because it isnt case grounded you have to switch polarity wheb it shifts to get it to move one direction or the other. So you need one wire to br power, the other ground, but on the flip of a switch need it to do the opposite. Ill keep you updated with the new relays. Let me know if you need any help or technical info.

·
Registered
463 Posts
cool. i may just go with a manual shifter solution...one more shifter will add to the "wow" factor...LOL.

BJ

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt know there was a manual shift option. I imagine youd have to change out the entire solenoid motor on thr side and have some type of linkage etc.

·
Registered
463 Posts
the manual shifting isn't an option...but more of a "modification"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone. How many of you are running a US Gear dual range? How many have had the small ecu/controller box burn up. Mine did and i made an entire wire harness setup to over come the problem. Im rewriting my schematic so i can upload it but if anyone needs help please let me know. Its fairly simple and only took a few hours, with some trial and error. Currently im running a simple on/offpower switch next to my pull switch (5 speed truck) to power the unit on and off. I am in the process of ordering timed relays to eliminate this and clean up the shifter setup. I will let you know how it goes when i have them in. Of course as you may have found out US Gear was bought out, and when that happened the current owner shut down the dual range assembly line and scrapped all spare parts. They are getting harder to come by but with a few cross references im sure we can find parts to do a rebuild. I also have the fluid specs. I absolutely love mjne and use it every day daily driving. It allows so many more cruising gears and far less actual clutch shifting. Let me know you likes/dislikes, problems and solutions. My favorite part is that it can be used with 4x4 unlike a gear vendors or other like companies that place it behind the transfer case. :party018::party018::laugh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I acquired a vehicle for the 5 speed and it had one of these it. While taking out the trany, I cut the wires at both ends as my gear shift switch had the same colors as the us gear dual range. I thought the switch made the us gear work and did not know about the controller box. It went to the wrecker with the shell. So I would love schematics for the wiring to switch the positive and negative back and forth. My switch changes which wire gets positive, but does nothing to the other wire to make it negative.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts