Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went by a front end shop yesterday that has what seemed to be honest folks workin and they jacked up the front end and wiggled the tires. sure nuff all 4 ball joints have about a 1/4 inch of slack and need to be replaced. They quoted me $830 to install moog ball joints. Is this about right or am i takin it like an 8 year old at the Neverland Ranch?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I was quoted around $900 for ball joints, alignment, and wanna say another small thing...

So your quote at bad.. :confused013:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thats Bout What I Would Charge To Do Them. Id Do Them 4 About 750 Ish. I Will Let You Know That They Only Have Bout 160 Or So In Parts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats Bout What I Would Charge To Do Them. Id Do Them 4 About 750 Ish. I Will Let You Know That They Only Have Bout 160 Or So In Parts.

Thanks guys. Sounds like they are in the ballpark on the ball joints and im just gonna have to pay up. :banghead:

·
Dumbass
4,348 Posts
thats not too bad. i've been quoted $900 for chinese parts, all the way up to $2000 for Adjustable ones.
so that dont sound bad at all

·
Registered
833 Posts
I used Moog Lowers, Spicer Greseable Pro grade Uppers ( Non Adjustable) as well as Precision Greaseable Axle U joints for a total cost of $6 bucks in PB Blaster, $322 USD in Parts( Plus 10 ship) and many swear words..oh I forgot a tube of Castrol Synth Grease..I was able to save the brake rotor and the Bearing Hub assy...they may not be able to...especially if they use too much heat..but that gives you an idea..1st side took 4 hrs, 2nd side took 1.5-2 hrs on the floor of my garage

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you buy the hub puller and do it your self it will save you big time.... parts are only a couple hundred bucks!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If you buy the hub puller and do it your self it will save you big time.... parts are only a couple hundred bucks!
How difficult is the process? besides the puller any special tools needed?

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Thats a Great write up... its alot of work, i mean figured it would be a job.... but dang!!!:doh:

Aint rich either so i love the DIY jobs :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
Went by a front end shop yesterday that has what seemed to be honest folks workin and they jacked up the front end and wiggled the tires. sure nuff all 4 ball joints have about a 1/4 inch of slack and need to be replaced. They quoted me $830 to install moog ball joints. Is this about right or am i takin it like an 8 year old at the Neverland Ranch?
I had an alignment shop tell me the same thing, went to the dealer who told me they were "withing spec". I was not having any tire wear issues, no clunks or noise from the front end, so who does a guy believe?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
its an easy process... ive done it over a dozen times... i did napa premium parts for $80 a piece for all 4.... and the 3rd gens dont need a front end alignment afterwards, as far as camber, tow is the only thing you can adjust on the 3rd gens but the only way that gets f*ed up is if you adjust it yourself, or replace steering parts... but i can do mine in 3-4 hours tops for an entire truck... easy process

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,684 Posts
it cost me $1400 to have all ball joints
and u joints replaced at the shop, along
with the carrier bearing.

this included the front u's and balls' and
all rear u's as well. drove like a new truck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys have been a ton of help. I read the write up and there aint no way I could handle a job like that. Hopefully, the truck will handle a lot better and track better. I just got it in February and am slowly rehabbing it back to excellent condition so that i will have dependable wheels for a few years to come.

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
Dumbass
4,348 Posts
I my axle seals changed and all 4 ball joints changed out for $571.
wow, where the hell did you get that done at? i need to find me a shop cheap like that!

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
You guys have been a ton of help. I read the write up and there aint no way I could handle a job like that. Hopefully, the truck will handle a lot better and track better. I just got it in February and am slowly rehabbing it back to excellent condition so that i will have dependable wheels for a few years to come.
Come to Canada Dood..my shop rate is 5 beers an hour to be consumed after the work is completed!!!Canadian Beer Only Pleeeeze..its a tad stronger!!Oh yeah and you do all the work while I supervise!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im goin to Canada next fall to duck hunt I hope. I couldnt make the trip last year but these Nebraska dudes that i take duck huntin down here have a trip they make every year and slaughter em in saskatchewan. I gotta see what its like.

Wish I could trade out duck hunts for a goerend trans!!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts