Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Future Fly Boy!
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i got the mods below and the poor little guy is slipping mad when i put the edge on kill. It will even slip on lvl 1 when i put it to the floor. So I figure it is only a matter of time untill it takes a dump on me. So my question is, what should I be looking for when I piece it back together. Future mods include a new turbo and some big sticks. I would like the truck to be in the 500 hp range. So, with those goals, what should I do to build the most reliable, best performing tranny. Im only a college student so I'm not really living large in the money depatrment. Thanks.

G

·
Probably the best thing you can do at this point is consult the big trans builders and see what they have to offer based on your plans.

I'm a big advocate of planning well ahead and modifying the drivetrain to handle the power desired. You'll want to consider the billet input shaft/forward drum mod, as well as how many clutches the builder will put in each clutch pack. You'll want to look at valvebody choices, based on use of the truck. Also, a new TC with a slightly lower stall speed as well as a better lock up clutch should be considered.

Unfortunately, once your trans starts to slip, even a good shift kit can't save it. In fact, it may even push it more quickly to the point of needing a rebuild.

If you are truly low budget, and plan to build the trans yourself, consider adding as many clutches as you can, a good shift kit, a stronger ratio apply lever and strut for the front band, and of course, a better converter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts