Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen a few threads on upgrading the Alpine stereo system with some Infinity (or similar) 3.5” dash speakers and a Pioneer 8” sub. I have an 18 Laramie with the 8.4 and Alpine. Considering how much time I spend on the hwy listening to music while I drive, I am curious if upgrading those two components are worth it. I’m pretty happy with the system now but would be willing to spend some coin if it would be improved.

Whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
772 Posts
If you read the same threads I did, I did the Jbl upgrades to the dash and rear door speakers. I did notice a nice difference. Didn't care about the sub personally.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I just finished this sys "upgrade". Installed In Infinity's in the rear doors, Kickers in the dash, unplugged the center one, upgraded the sub and powered it using an amp I had. Way better sound than I would have guessed for what all was involved.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just finished this sys "upgrade". Installed In Infinity's in the rear doors, Kickers in the dash, unplugged the center one, upgraded the sub and powered it using an amp I had. Way better sound than I would have guessed for what all was involved.
How easy or hard was it to switch out the amp?

·
TPMS adjustment guy
1,562 Posts
Adding an amp is not difficult using the high level inputs. Using a line converter helps too but not absolutely necessary. I have the Pioneer sub for sale if you're interested.

·
Registered
651 Posts

I added one to run just the sub. Was pretty easy. Only wore I had to really run was the power wire s and that wasn’t that hard. My amp has the ability to sense audio signal, so i didn’t have to worry about running a remote wire. Plus this lets me listen with out a lot of bass until I turn it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I did the Pioneer sub and Kickers in the dash and four doors. It is a worthwhile upgrade. The Kickers I used were plug and play and that was the main reason for choosing them. The front doors help the subwoofer with base so I suggest doing the doors as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adding an amp is not difficult using the high level inputs. Using a line converter helps too but not absolutely necessary. I have the Pioneer sub for sale if you're interested.
Can I ask why its for sale? Didn’t like it?

I did the Pioneer sub and Kickers in the dash and four doors. It is a worthwhile upgrade. The Kickers I used were plug and play and that was the main reason for choosing them. The front doors help the subwoofer with base so I suggest doing the doors as well.
Thanks. Certainly something to think about

·
TPMS adjustment guy
1,562 Posts
Can I ask why its for sale? Didn’t like it?
I simply upgraded because I wanted more bass. I paired it with a 150W Mono Class D Amplifier and it sounds good especially if you add some polyfill to the factory enclosure. I would not recommend running it without a separate amp.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I simply upgraded because I wanted more bass. I paired it with a 150W Mono Class D Amplifier and it sounds good especially if you add some polyfill to the factory enclosure. I would not recommend running it without a separate amp.
Not to keep harping on you....

I have no plans to install an additional amp at this time. I’ve read people liked the mod just adding the speaker and polyfill. Does it sound worse than stock without an amp?

·
TPMS adjustment guy
1,562 Posts
Not to keep harping on you....

I have no plans to install an additional amp at this time. I’ve read people liked the mod just adding the speaker and polyfill. Does it sound worse than stock without an amp?
No bother. IMO it sounds better than stock but it's really underpowered. I also have a pair of the Infinity by Harman Reference 3002cfx 2-way 3 1/2" speakers for the dash for sale.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Would you mind providing more details on the amp install and pics if possible?

I too have the Pioneer and polyfill; but I know an amp would wake it up for a little better bass.

Did you have to access the 8.4 radio to do this?

Thanks and if you don't have time no worries.

Rick

·
Registered
147 Posts
Upgrading the Alpine speakers

Im no car audio guy, however I've been told the factory Alpine is around 2 ohm. I looked into the JBL and the Infinity speakers, they all advertise to be around 3 ohm.

I found these guys after reading an article online: https://cdtaudio.com/2ohm.htm.

They have a line of 2 ohm speakers. Ive ordered and will give feedback once installed.

They have a vehicle specific line, but that is for the non Alpine system.

·
TPMS adjustment guy
1,562 Posts
Would you mind providing more details on the amp install and pics if possible?

I too have the Pioneer and polyfill; but I know an amp would wake it up for a little better bass.

Did you have to access the 8.4 radio to do this?

Thanks and if you don't have time no worries.

Rick
An amp makes it sound way better. I don't have the 8.4 radio anymore so my connection to the amp is different now but I know all the parts and can put something together. There's no need to access the 8.4 radio.

·
TPMS adjustment guy
1,562 Posts
Sorry for the late reply but here are pics of my install. Amp is a Kicker 43CXA3001 Mono Class D.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
I did alot of web searching on different components, specs, price, etc...

Ordered some of the things in my list (even had to return a couple do to fitment issues) and
eventually came up with what I have now. Here's the details:

Dash speakers (corners): Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m 3.5" Mid-ranges (center left as-is)
Front doors: CDT Audio CL-69S 6X9” mid-bass woofers
Rear doors: Infinity Reference REF-9622IX
Sub box under rear seat: (MTX dual 10" enclosure) with JL Audio 10w3's
Front door pillars (custom pods) and overhead: Hertz Energy ET 26.5 Tweeters

For processing, interfacing, and amps:

JL Audio HD 900/5
Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP
iDataLink Maestro ADS-MAR
iDataLink Maestro AR-CH2

Power distribution and wiring:

MESA AKCO 0 Gauge OFC Amp Kit
MESA FDBUQM Dual Power/Ground Distribution Kit
Stinger SHW516B-500 16GA Speaker wire
Stinger SHW512B-250 12GA Speaker wire
MESA RM6 6' M-Series Twisted RCA Cables
MESA PWCB4 4AWG OFC Power Wire
MESA RM1F2M 1F-2M M-Series Twisted Y-Adapters

Here's a basic layout of the system:

Reactions: Feller2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Upgrading the Alpine speakers

Im no car audio guy, however I've been told the factory Alpine is around 2 ohm. I looked into the JBL and the Infinity speakers, they all advertise to be around 3 ohm.

I found these guys after reading an article online: https://cdtaudio.com/2ohm.htm.

They have a line of 2 ohm speakers. Ive ordered and will give feedback once installed.

They have a vehicle specific line, but that is for the non Alpine system.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just purchased my 2011 with a Pioneer head unit and Sundown Audio SA-12 subwoofer already installed. The low ends certainly packs a punch, but to improve overall clarity, I was going to start with some upgraded door speakers (front and rear) to see where that gets me.

I must admit I'm befuddled on the factory Alpine system...are front corner dash speakers their own channel, or tweeters for the 6x9's in the front doors? Similarly, are the rear headliner speakers a separate channel, or tweeters for the rear doors? Crutchfield lists a number of different speaker sizes fitting in these places

·
Registered
4 Posts
@SFGiants , I just upgraded my 2010. The dash speakers are mid-highs and the front door speakers are low-mids. Rear door speakers are full range and the headliner speakers are tweeters. I went with the factory kicker upgrade in the doors and kicker ks 3.5"s in the dash.

·
Registered
200 Posts
@SFGiants , I just upgraded my 2010. The dash speakers are mid-highs and the front door speakers are low-mids. Rear door speakers are full range and the headliner speakers are tweeters. I went with the factory kicker upgrade in the doors and kicker ks 3.5"s in the dash.
Thanks GrandBoost - that confirms something else I read on another forum. What a wonky setup. It sounds like upgrading the front door 6x9's is somewhat of a futile effort given there isn't a ton of selection on the market for low-mid 6x9's, and it's debatable if what's out there would be an improvement.

The biggest question for me now is whether to use the factory amp or upgrade. I assume the high-pass and low-pass filters for everything is integrated into it, so swapping in an aftermarket alternative would widen the speaker options. How do you guys find the factory Alpine amp to perform? I would think adding a dedicated amp for the subwoofer, as my truck's previous owner did, would take a bit of load off of it and allow it to drive the mid's/high's more efficiently?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts