Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some odd nights looking up replacement VGT's that allow me to still keep the brake while having good tow manners and daily driving manners.

Unfortunately these posts are so dated that most of the turbos aren't available anymore.

Anyone know of some that are direct replacements? Just looking to see whats out there

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure you just buy it, but it's not just a reman it's got upgraded wheels inside.
Thanks, that's one avenue for it. I'm on my phone right now and the fleece site doesn't give much info, what are the cheetahs rated for? Or just more of a peace of mind upgrade to a factory turbo?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I don't think your going to see much gains over stock, maybe a little lower drive pressure and a little higher boost numbers. I haven't researched them much to see if they are even worth using or if they are over priced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 64mm Spectre Hybrid VGT which is similar to the Fleece Cheetah, it does make more power but if I had to do all over again I would have done an ATS add a turbo kit and will still go that route in the future being I do want to keep my exhaust brake and want more power. I have about 40k on the turbo, works good and spools good.

·
Registered
250 Posts
the fleece cheetah can support up to 650 hp. I believe it is a 63mm and is direct replacement.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've also seen online that the Cheetah can support up to 650 RWHP, but that doesn't seem right if it's simply an upgraded stock turbo? Can anyone shed a little more light on that?

I'm not going to swap the stock one out anytime soon, but it's on my "maybe in a couple years" list...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think your going to see much gains over stock, maybe a little lower drive pressure and a little higher boost numbers. I haven't researched them much to see if they are even worth using or if they are over priced.
I'm not looking for massive arm ripping gains, more so subtle gains but good for all around driving. I don't really plan on doing an upgraded lift pump either, I'd really only do it for the filters.

Basically if the gains are justified by the price I'd do it.

I have a 64mm Spectre Hybrid VGT which is similar to the Fleece Cheetah, it does make more power but if I had to do all over again I would have done an ATS add a turbo kit and will still go that route in the future being I do want to keep my exhaust brake and want more power. I have about 40k on the turbo, works good and spools good.
My findings showed the Spectre has been discontinued. I'd have been all over that too!

The down fall to the add-a-turbo kits is they no longer support a closed air box. the last thing I want is an open element where I live. This is where the stock or S&B style sealed boxes come in.

the fleece cheetah can support up to 650 hp. I believe it is a 63mm and is direct replacement.
Interesting, I'd like to know if they upgraded the bearings in it to handle it..?

I've also seen online that the Cheetah can support up to 650 RWHP, but that doesn't seem right if it's simply an upgraded stock turbo? Can anyone shed a little more light on that?

I'm not going to swap the stock one out anytime soon, but it's on my "maybe in a couple years" list...
Also my "maybe" list as well but I might have to jump on the right one.

I messaged this guy, looks like they also coat 'em black.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Check out some Third gen posts, the HE351 Fleece Cheeta turbo has lots of good reviews. I would expect nothing less from their 4th gen stuff, Fleece covers their bases and builds a solid product, they aren't cheap but what is these days. Good luck.

Reactions: cnote1115

·
Registered
404 Posts
I sold mine and went with a second gen swap. for the money you will be spending on just a turbo you can second gen swap and put an inline exhaust brake

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
I sold mine and went with a second gen swap. for the money you will be spending on just a turbo you can second gen swap and put an inline exhaust brake
I agree 100% unless you live in a state with visual inspections. That's where the Fleece shines, and is really when they are worth it. That or if you purchase a compound turbo kit that runs off a stocker and you want some more, and don't want to change your entire set up or mess with the piping.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Can this fleece be swapped as simply as y'all are making it sound? Would your truck require any tuning to run the different set up?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree 100% unless you live in a state with visual inspections. That's where the Fleece shines, and is really when they are worth it. That or if you purchase a compound turbo kit that runs off a stocker and you want some more, and don't want to change your entire set up or mess with the piping.
I've also been eye-balling the BD super-B special. It comes with the turbo, manifold and inline brake. My question does this break spice into the existing EB switch or is this a separate plunger style valve? I have a G-56 so if thats the case I'd most likely mount an inline on the stick.

Can this fleece be swapped as simply as y'all are making it sound? Would your truck require any tuning to run the different set up?
The swap is as simple as removing your stock turbo and replacing it with the Cheetah. Keep in mind they are both essentially HE351VE's. Yes its ideal that you tune your truck for optimal results.

I'm already running custom tunes so its not that hard for the builder to pull up my file and do some tweaking for the Cheetah.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts