Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am most likely going to be buying an 03-06 Cummins with a manual tranny, I think the only mods will most likely be a cold air intake, exhaust and a programmer(Smarty or Superchips). I don't plan on doing anything beyond that. Will I need to get a FASS or will the stock pump suffice.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
I believe your stock lift will be fine. I would do a smarty jr. and save 200 bones. The Jr. gives a nice kick in the pants and you get to try it risk free for 90 days if you buy it from Bob. ( Smarty Rep ). If you think you might go more aggresive then get the Smarty Sr.

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
The 03-04 filter mounted pump has been known for failures.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Premium Member
6,759 Posts
I'm sure a cranked up Smarty will draw your fuel pressure down to zero as well as my Triple Dog did, I just put in an Air Dog 100.
Get some gauges first thing though...

·
Banned
516 Posts
The 03-04 filter mounted pump has been known for failures.
i agree with. mine went out at 50k and i only had the smarty on there for 4k! i would just change it now so your not out in the middle of nowhere with a dead truck!

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
I am most likely going to be buying an 03-06 Cummins with a manual tranny, I think the only mods will most likely be a cold air intake, exhaust and a programmer(Smarty or Superchips). I don't plan on doing anything beyond that. Will I need to get a FASS or will the stock pump suffice.
03-04.5 trucks have the canister pumps like Brian said and they are just as failure prone as the the 24V lift pumps but the CP3 can run for a little while by itself and then shut down the truck to prevent further damage which is nice....unless you are on a off ramp in CT 175 miles from home:CRY::CRY:

If you get a 05+ you should be ok but if you get a 03-04.5 I would invest in a better lift pump.:thumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts