Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to upgrade from the getrag. Been a good trani but she is getting tired. I have heard of Nv4500, & Nv5600 upgrades. But I'm not intrested in those. I would prefer to do something with better gear spread
I.e. 9 speed, 13 speed. Don't know a lot about them. But any info would be cool. Swaps that have been done wat it took to make work. 4x4 still working. I'm curious to how fab was done. Flywheel adapter plates clutches. I looking for the gear spread because I use my truck to tow regularly. I also hear their do side jobs with my dozer. John Deere 350 9-10lb machine. Any info is appreciate thanks.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
There are threads out there on the net with the 9/10/13 speed Eaton fuller trannies put behind 5.9 cummins. You just have to do a little digging to scare them up.

I have been thinking about a 13 speed for my crewcab...but that would not be for many years. But I might start amassing all the parts? But then I think about a gear vendors set-up. That would take my NV4500 5speed and make it a 10 speed....for a lot less hassle, and probably for about the same cost.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Yah it has crossed mind going with gear vendors, if any body has put some miles on one these please post it. Hold up good? Does it split the gears good enough? I mean essentially it's just going to a 2 low right? Or is it divided and geared right to really be effective?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
gear venders is around 3500 bucks.as for a 13sp drooling piston is doing one now he is in the 2d gen section. very good with picks.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
he is in the powertrain sec page 2. this guy knows his stuff.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I checked out "Drooling piston's" 13spd thread...very cool, but after seeing all the cutting and other issues I think I will be steering clear of that swap.

A gear vendors over/under drive unit should work very well...with little to no modifications to the body. Just a new mount, and some new drive shafts.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
One of my best friends had a Gear Vendor O/D unit behind his GM 6.5, engine wasn't stock but they can't make a lot of power anyway. But the point is that he towed his 20' enclosed car hauler and had a good size slide-in camper for race days, and the only issue he had (besides having a 6.5) was a wire came loose on the OD selector switch.

After owning both a getrag and NV5600, the gear spread on the 6 speed is much much nicer for towing.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
After owning both a getrag and NV5600, the gear spread on the 6 speed is much much nicer for towing.
I agree. If I was to go 6 speed it would probably be a ZF6. Have to look into it in a few years and see what would be cheaper...6 speed conversion, or a GearVendors unit?

I'm a trucker, so I like the idea of being able to split every gear. Make my 5 speed into a 10 speed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The 5600 swap is not as involved as a Roadranger swap, but still involves a fair amount of cutting, parts sourcing, ect. 4500 is more of a bolt in. Gear Vendors is bolt in as well, except for shortening the rear driveshaft. Disadvantage of the Gear Vendors (besides the cost) is that it won't engage until you are doing at least 35 MPH, and will disengage below that speed, because the hydraulic pump needs to build pressure.

If you want a Roadranger, the RTO6610 is a good fit: 10 speeds, overdrive, and not too much heavier than the stock trans at 356 lbs.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
The 5600 swap is not as involved as a Roadranger swap, but still involves a fair amount of cutting, parts sourcing, ect. 4500 is more of a bolt in. Gear Vendors is bolt in as well, except for shortening the rear driveshaft. Disadvantage of the Gear Vendors (besides the cost) is that it won't engage until you are doing at least 35 MPH, and will disengage below that speed, because the hydraulic pump needs to build pressure.

If you want a Roadranger, the RTO6610 is a good fit: 10 speeds, overdrive, and not too much heavier than the stock trans at 356 lbs.
I'd forgot about the RTO6610.....there was a guy over on the Pirate4x4 who put a cummins, and one of those trannies, in an old jeep p/u...sweet ride!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.