Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

UPDATE-Advice on used truck purchase

1255 Views 22 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  s2gots
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
I would like to get some advice from you guys on purchasing a used truck.. it's at a high end used car dealership, they have very good reviews, and dont sound shady and are very accommodating over phone..
Car fax is clean, 1 owner. They said they took it to a ram dealer and had them go through it, all came back good and they said they will show me the work order from the dealer. All scheduled maintenance up to date.
2014 mega cab 4x4 Laramie all black..182k miles
Fully loaded, with the black out package..
In pics it looks in almost excellent condition..
The salesman did a walk around with me over the phone, and all he said there was, small rock chips on the front grill\bumper area, and around the fender flares.. said their detail shop will touch up what they can before i go see it..
They are asking $36k, but over the phone, got them down to $34k...
They are a few hours away from me, but will go see it tomorrow..
What do you guys think on that price with miles and condition?
It's in line with blue book value..
I'm in northern California, so pricing are elevated a bit...
Thanks
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,462 Posts
I would take them up on looking at the WO and see what was checked out, especially all e-equipment, turbo and trans. I would want it all stock, these days. Make sure it's enough truck for what you will be doing, payload etc.. I'm not used to these prices but it sounds OK, if the truck is in good enough condition.

· Registered
3,462 Posts
I bought my 12 in 17 w/116k miles for 32k... and it was a cream puff. The next year the vgt went and in another year, it was the front end, carrier brg, brakes and all the u joints. None of that was a surprise and I do all my own work, so only the turbo was expensive. I'm still very happy bcuz I know what I have and it's been a great truck, ever since.
I just worry about all that stuff hitting guys that don't realize what can happen. You're looking at an 8 year older truck and over half and again the miles. Just be aware and be ready!
My truck usage is infrequent and it has plenty of down time for me to work on it. I also worry about guys that can't withstand the down time... consider that too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts