Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

UPDATE-Advice on used truck purchase

1249 Views 22 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  s2gots
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
I would like to get some advice from you guys on purchasing a used truck.. it's at a high end used car dealership, they have very good reviews, and dont sound shady and are very accommodating over phone..
Car fax is clean, 1 owner. They said they took it to a ram dealer and had them go through it, all came back good and they said they will show me the work order from the dealer. All scheduled maintenance up to date.
2014 mega cab 4x4 Laramie all black..182k miles
Fully loaded, with the black out package..
In pics it looks in almost excellent condition..
The salesman did a walk around with me over the phone, and all he said there was, small rock chips on the front grill\bumper area, and around the fender flares.. said their detail shop will touch up what they can before i go see it..
They are asking $36k, but over the phone, got them down to $34k...
They are a few hours away from me, but will go see it tomorrow..
What do you guys think on that price with miles and condition?
It's in line with blue book value..
I'm in northern California, so pricing are elevated a bit...
Thanks
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
I have a 16 w 150k on it. In the past 20k I've rebuilt the front end pretty much from unit bearing to unit bearing. I drive the hell out of it and have no concerns driving all over w it. At 180k I'd try and get what the dealer noted. I'd look for signs of wear/parts replaced. 34k sounds responsible but you will be replacing some parts soon if they haven't been done yet. Also look for rust in the wheel wells/underside/rockers. Try and get some type of warranty that will cover stuff for at least 30-60 days. That way is the dpf is full 20 miles from the dealer you have some recourse. Some people may think it's high but considering it's 80-95k to buy a nicer model now, 34k is reasonable.

· Registered
274 Posts
I think the price is OK but agree w having money for the issues that pop up (they always do). Now is a crappy time to buy a car. We just purchased a new Subaru for my wife, we needed a car bad and we're initially looking at used ones but they were so over priced it was actually better to buy a new one. Like actually 4k less for the same car 2 years old. It's crazy, if you need a truck, your gonna pay for it now. I payed 53k for my 16 Laramie. A comparable truck now is 89k. 3 years ago 34k would be high, but that was then, and now it's a totally different deal.
Totally have money set aside for the little surprises that will come with high mileage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts