Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a note on my up to date progress with my never ending search for the fuel mileage on this 6.7 beast...

I did pick up a 5" Aero Turbine 5050XL Friday locally and even met one of our newer forum members there in the process. I ended up giving the guy a ride in my truck as he said he hadn't heard a straight TBE 6.7 before. He has a new 6.7 and was looking into what he could do and I ended up selling him enough of my old 4" stuff to get him going for 50 bucks...

I figure it was worth 50 bucks and all he needs now is a fooler box and some time to get it all on. Hope to see him on here soon as well. He is one of our younger bucks here LOL.

Anyway, I cut and spliced in the 5050XL yesterday and made a much better hanger right at the front of the rear axle. The Aero Turbine with how nice they look and all I hated to weld just anything on it to get the 5050XL hung so I went to my what seems to be endless supply of junk pile LOL...

For all of you oilfield types out there, you will most likely know what I used when I post all this LOL... I took a flange ring gasket the R-35 series in 316L SS, it was one that was beat up somewhat but me like I am, it might be junk for a gasket, but its great for something else LOL.

I cut it and spread it out into a large U shape and then added some 1/2" rod to fit the rubber gromets hangers under the truck. This all mounted in the same way and place as the OEM muffle did. I just tacked the modified stainless ring gasket to the down stream end of the stainless Aero Turbine. I know its much stronger than how I had hung the straight pipe before and looks better if nothing else anyway.

After Matt's thread on the hunt for the better mileage setup, I thought I would just see if a muffler of sorts with a little more restriction than like the straight through design might help my truck out. Figuring on loosing the noise alright but if I can get a little fuel mileage from that, it would be cool with me.

I will get some PIC's of this all today some time. I have been also as time allows getting some PIC's in my gallery on the forum as well. I have a couple so far and still figuring out how that all works, so far its somewhat less than what I wanted, but in time I hope to figure how to edit these PIC's LOL...

The Aero 5050XL is a big sucker with design what has always worked well with the plumbing I did in the oilfield. It sort of rifles the exhaust as it comes out of the body of the 5050... It did kick the heck out of the noise best that I can tell. But it also got rid of the sound this 6.7 has always had at idle with the straight pipe. I hated how it sounded at idle, it's like the 6.7 sounds at idle like a bad exhaust leak and even worse, somewhat of a burnt valve as well... At least to me the straight pipe exhaust at idle does, now sure, as you bring up the throttle the 6.7 does ring out then LOL, just not so at idle.

Well now at idle it doesn't sound nearly as bad to me anyway. This 5050 did make a big hit on the noise at speeds, one I am sure won't be for everyone here either LOL... I will get the truck out today and do some runs with her to see how the performance was affected or not. Then once back on the route Tuesday, I will know if this brought any fuel mileage up or down while towing.

I hope to see any results on the truck by itself, by the end of this weekend. It will be all town driving, which this darn truck has always gotten better mileage around town anyway. I have yet to figure that one out LOL. One thing I figure though is that if I was to drive on the road and keep my speeds 60MPH or less, I am sure it would be way better than what I usually get...

This part of the world at 55 MPH you have to take a stick and stab it in the ground to make sure your moving... Its so wide open here and ugly right now as the fields are all just dirt with nothing growing in it... So 55MPH is not been an option just yet for me with the 400 plus miles I drive every day on the route LOL... I will post more on the out come of all this later today...

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Good info Jeb, I just got a muffler i am gonna try on my truck since the Stacks have made it a little on the loud side in the cab, but also to try out this MPG/Back pressure idea. I will get it on this weekend with tons of info hopefully. Maybe we can come across the same conclusion. :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I hope we can can up with something on this. I know before I ever got the first reflash, I was running my homemade fooler exhaust system with the rifling veins, no fooler box. It made lots of difference if I didn't have some back pressure which I adjusted with the two rifling veins. If I left the system somewhat wide open with the least amount of resistance I lost the power on this 6.7 and for sure on the bottom end. Fuel mileage was way bad... The more the resistance the better the fuel mileage got to a point... Then once you went a little to far, it would set a code and try to go into regen... I have not messed with this on the 5" TBE. I did mess with it on the 4" and was pretty much not affective with the straight 4" with the fooler box and the AU flash I had... Guess we will see what happens with the 5" system I made and the new Aero Turbine LOL... I also look forward to see what you come up with on yours as well as anyone else too...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db04b3127ccec466ae7e4b7600000046108BcNXLVo3ag9vPhA

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db04b3127ccec4664e27ca6f00000046108BcNXLVo3ag9vPhA

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db04b3127ccec466c93b0b9800000046108BcNXLVo3ag9vPhA

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db04b3127ccec466cbb38a2100000046108BcNXLVo3ag9vPhA

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well I say good luck with that Jeb. When I was driving my truck daily I would hold her between 55-60 mph. After I did my delete kit I saw a 2-3 mpg increase. I'm sure once I get a CAI I can see something more ( I hope ) Anywho keep us posted, I'm looking at Gear vendors double overdrive. And the spin doctor kit in the front axle. Just my thought on that as well.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now what I had happen yesterday guys while moving the truck around trying to get the light better for PIC's of all this and the new Mirror mounts I mounted for a look see and get posted on another thread, my 6.7 failed to fire up correctly. It was like way weird I tell you.

I have had this happen twice now and all since moving and mounting the fuel rail pressure guage. I am certain its all about RF getting in the ECU and from the placement of the rail sensor wiring...

That sensor on the back of the rail is kind of in a hard to do much with place anyway LOL. I never had much trouble getting my plug undone or anything as some have, but that lifting eye could not been in a worse place as anyone who has messed with this, knows all too well.

I am not sure just how much all this motor is being affected by all this, but I am here telling you guys this is bad JU JU!!! It has made my truck even quite running from highway speed with the cruise set! This time she fired up and then just slowly went down and died. Crank back up and run way bad and die again, and then not even fire back up at all.

All I did this time was to move the wiring from the interphase of the rail pressure sensor and rail pressure guage up and on top of the lifting eye and let it rest there between the lifting eye and the rail with that last injector tubing.

You look close at all this, I had chose to run my wiring over the back side of the lifting eye away from the the engine. I tie-strapped all this to the wiring loom already ran there going into that large junction there on the driverside fire wall. There is a larger loom coming from back behind the engine from the passenger side and up into this juntion... I suspect this may be the area of concern, also and an area to keep the wiring of the rail pressure sensor and now my gauge feed, routed away from and even maybe shielded from it.

I sort of wonder now if some of you guys that have had issues with bad fuel and/or running issues and had your hands or dealers all into this might have messed around with the sensor wiring on the back of the fuel rail??? I can see how we could be mis-lead all together big time with this and how it makes the 6.7 act up so badly... This is nothing to lightly take for granted either guys...

RF on stuff like the ECU and how these new engines have everything so electrically interphased, the RF can make all sorts of things happen and mislead even the best of techs!!! I know alittle about RF and engines as I work on the new fuel injected outboard engines on boats and RF has been a real bad problem to figure your way around... It will have you chasing your tail so easy and in depth when in fact there is nothing really wrong with the engine at all. Its just RF in a system that controls everything and it can make drastic things look like its crashed and FUBAR'd LOL...

Anyway, just thought I would share this with you guys that might be interested. I know of one person on here that his trouble with bad fuel he got and all the trouble he has had, and now is trying to lemon law his truck, that with what he has posted about the trouble he has been experiencing lately; this just screams out at me...

I watched my fuel pressures both lift pump and rail pressure go wild when all this started happening on my truck yesterday. If I had not known better I would have been all into the CP3 and God knows what else looking for what the hell is going on!!!

I had rail pressure going from 10K to zero and all over in between those readings, lift pump from 10psi to falling on its nose as well, then to climb back up but barely and slowly, then fall back to zero all over again and again. I could run the motor up at times and still had little to no pressure on either system, try and put the truck in gear and she would die... Just like a fuel issue, trash in the fuel system, bad fuel pumps and the like??? It would fake the best of us out guys, me included if I didn't already know something about all this before.

So, me for one will keep this all in the back of my gray matter and use this for a later reference, when/if this comes up again. What I would do is just move the wiring around on the back of the fuel rail if you guys get anything remotely like this show up. Then see if anything is different...I am really surprized with as many here running the MP8's and how they interphase into our system we have not had more issues like this.

In fact I am not certain that just how the MP8 works and interphases into our system may be something in it and how well it seems to work on the fuel mileage. I know for instance that yesterday while all this RF was having its way with me and my truck, I saw my OHC reading go from just over 20mpg to 11.4mpg for whatever reason...

I had been watching my damn OHC reading somewhat since I put the Aero 5050XL on to just see what it was going to do. I went and filled my truck up since mounting the Aero and my OHC had really went up over 20mpg while running around town. My truck has always done good around town long as I keep my foot out of her, but never like this... Then when I had my ECU get RF'd and crash my system somewhat, its all but bottomed out and so quickly...

My thoughts are all on this fuel rail pressure system and the wiring from it for sure... Needless to say I will be way more focused on this now. I can tell you that there is some ECU's that will be affected like this more than others, at least on all the outboards I have worked on there have been. It has also gotten back to certain crankshaft sensors and their systems as well... This is all making more sense to me also with how some of us get way worse fuel mileage than others do. I also have started to wonder if this very thing is why the OHC reading on my truck has been so all over the spectrum???

I know I sure would love to visit with a Cummins engineer about all this now though!!! It could be something as simple as this to affect the fuel mileage and running quality, but in the same breath; a very hard and difficult thing to fix$$$

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more installment of the exhaust saga this afternoon on my 6.7... I took the AeroTurbine muffler off and installed a 5" Magnaflow!!! I will finish getting it all hung up in the morning, but I have ran it a little to get a feel of this muffler. Its quite and very soft sound. The route next week will put the muffler to the test and I will get a good idea of what it does or doesn't LOL...

I do plan to make me a muffler delete to fit the space where these two totally different mufflers fit and that way I can switch back to a straight pipe if I choose. The single biggest thing either of these mufflers have on my 6.7 now has been the sound at idle... My 6.7 with straight pipe just sounds so bad to me!!! Sounds like a bad exhaust leak and/or burnt valve when its straight pipe, add on a muffler and it sounds smooth running at idle!!!

I will post a few PIC's of this new Magnaflow installed tomorrow once I get it all hung up... Once I get a good feel of this muffler I will post the mileage and performance differences if any between these two as well as the straight pipe setup...

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
You could always try the Hushpower next if that one doesnt work for you. I am very happy with mine.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
sweet install jeb, putting a 5050xl on a 5" straight Ex. sys isnt what i would consider adding back pressure:lol3:, i would really love to hear that system, im not into straight piped systems but i love the sound of the aero 4040 (4") on my 5.9.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ynots,

Dude I am looking for something if its there to help with throttle response and mileage. I remember what seems long ago now when I first bought this 6.7 and was making my own DPF delete system with rifling veins that I would loose quite alot of the bottom end power and about 2 mpg while towing. I could add more of my vein length which would add restriction, and I would get this back and even more; but if I added to much I would go into regen LOL...

So with all the talk here some while back of a few guys here, wondering if we was to add a muffler of some sort or a small 4" diameter restriction to the 5" might add anything of value to our 6.7; I just decided to do a test of sorts of my own and just see...

So for all I have noticed is the big change in the at idle sound of the 6.7 with the mufflers is much better JIMO... I am also certain I the MagnaFlow is alittle quiter than the AeroTurbine. Will have to see how the mileage is next week...

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here is a PIC of the MagnaFlow, but its not any differently mounted than the AeroTurbine I did; so its the same old news LOL...

Edit: Really help if I would attach the PIC!!!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d838b3127ccec4325bf3219600000020O08BcNXLVo3ag9vPhA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D560/ry%3D300/

I have not seen any difference in the fuel mileage from this to the AeroTurbine either. Never had the chance to try either one of these mufflers with just the truck, its always hooked up for the most part. I have ran the both of them around town over a weekend, but thats not giving them a test really.

Depending on what comes up this weekend, if I am around home here, I do plan to build me a short spool piece to go in the place of where these mufflers fit.

Must say I would love to hear the 6.7 a little more than either one of these mufflers have allowed. I do like how the 6.7 sounds with either at idle though, and if there had been any advantage with the fuel consumption I would have left that muffler on and never looked back for a little more exhaust note LOL...

No mileage advantage, so I want to hear this beast again, even at the expense of the drone coming back and the really sick idle sound my 6.7 makes... More laterz...

·
Registered
269 Posts
sweet install jeb, putting a 5050xl on a 5" straight Ex. sys isnt what i would consider adding back pressure:lol3:, i would really love to hear that system, im not into straight piped systems but i love the sound of the aero 4040 (4") on my 5.9.
With stock being a 1 and straight pipe a 10 how loud is the 4040? Does it have any drone and do you still have your cat? I cant decide between the 4040 and the 4040XL. :confused013:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
jeb H i'm a little confused

What's this "rf" you're talking about? Are you running some sort of 2-way radio cb, ham, commercial? I have a ham radio in my truck that runs about 40-50 watts and I had one in a while back running about 75-100 watts. I have never had any electrical issues, wierd idle or odd overhead readings. I have not messed with my rail pressure sensors or anything on the rail for that matter.

Perhaps there is something else in your setup that's causing the problems? Bad connection somewhere?

Also, what kind of fuel mileage are you seeing? I run empty most of the time and the BEST I've managed was a 1 or 2 time `17.9 mpg hand calc'd. (maybe that was a 18.9, been a while) anyway from day 1 with everything installed to now , my running average (empty and loaded) is 15.6mpg. With all I've done I really thought I'd see a big improvement over the stock numbers. I run about 100 miles/day mostly highway 65-70mph with a little city/backroads 30-45mph thrown in. I've got a 500 mile trip coming up soon, I'll see how it does then.

Oh, I've been running the smarty on 3 and 5 for several tanks each, no real difference between them, I'm trying #1, now.

jeff.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff,

This post was from when I was running a 07' MY truck dude... It did have a weird RF thing going on too. One that was in the ECM... Never could get that fixed either. It would run fine for several 100 miles and then all of a sudden the thing would wig out and I would have to unplug the fuel rail pressure guage to make it stop. Then after a 100 miles I could stop and hook it back and all was fine...

The 09' MY truck I have now has never once done this and I have the same rail pressure guage... Actually, I have all the same guages and I added a few more guages to better monitor things in order to figure out what is going on under the hood LOL... This was a blast from the past for me guys LOL...

By the way, if any of you guys would like to try a Aero 5050XL which is the 5" version I have one setup with the hanger installed to where it goes right where the muffler was from stock??? I also have the 5" version of the Magnaflow setup the same way, anyone can try these if you would like... I just use the band clamps so its very easy to swap these out as I tried the different things... I also have a 5" version of the swedged restriction I made that has been the best setup for the most power I have found from the stock VGT... Anyone close enough to Lubbock, Texas or anywhere along my 400 plus mile route, your more than welcome to try these... Just PM me and we can work out the details maybe... These bigger mufflers are quite expensive but do offer the best of the best flow I could find and really nice sound...

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your running a stock 6.7 right now, I would get rid of the EGR valve and the dpf system. The egr valve is the worst of the emission equipment JIMO... You get rid of these and get the ecm all fat and happy, you will get better fuel mileage dude, as well as feel by the seat of your pants some extra power...

Give John B. a call Monday morning dude and tell him I sent you for some good honest help getting your ride all fixed. John is a great and honest dude to deal with. He has helped me for several years now and he is always the best... Here is a hyper link that you can get his phone number from...

Holland Court Diesel Performance

1 - 16 of 16 Posts