Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my brother decided to take it upon himself to allow someone to borrow my cummins (it's my secondary truck). The guy that borrowed it obviously was not very smart he put regular unleaded gas in the truck and there was not much diesel in it. Nevertheless he drove away from the gas station and got a few miles away and the truck shut down. He had the truck towed to my house and now I have the pleasure of trying to figure out how to get it back running again or see what the damage is.

I am some what mechanically inclined and I'm going to try and figure it out. If someone could please give me some advice as to where I begin or if you know any good posts that would help me.

Please help me on this, I really need to get this truck running again!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Drain the tank
Change the fuel filter.
fill with diesel. bled the fuel lines.

run it,
there not as fragile as some want you to think.

IF
if it was damaged some how you still have to go threw the above to find out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Damage that i could forsee from this would be the VP... Beings that gas doesnt have the lube needed, but, you are probably ok. Get all the gas out of the tank (save it, lawn mower, or burn the kid who put it in your truck.)
Drain the fliter housing, crack all the injectors, fill the tank with diesel, prime system, and giggity go. Maybe it cleaned your injectors!

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,650 Posts
Not good! flush all the lines and tank. change the fuel filter and if it was me id take a look at the injectors and get them cleaned up. Also this didnt help your vp and im betting it drastically reduced its life span. Its one thing to run gas mixed with fuel but when its mostly gas its very bad. Id be asking the guy who did this for some money to put towards all this. I know accidents happen but to borrow someones truck and do it is a totally different thing

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I just cleaned the gas out of a small forklift at work a couple weeks ago.
Siphoned out the gas, added 5 gallon of diesel, siphoned that out, added five more, removed filters, dumped them out, reinstalled filters, cranked for while with injection lines loose, changed filters, primed system, started up fine.
has been running fine since.

·
Rescue Tower
10,810 Posts
Snofarmer, garagepeople

:agree2:

Who ever did that, needs to pony up for a fuel filter, and enough gas can's to offload your full tank. Keep them and run it through your lawn equipment.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You could disconnect the rubber fuel line from where is connects to the metal fuel line. I think it is somewhere just behind the front drivers side tire. On the frame of course. Bumping the starter would get the fuel flowing. Not sure if it would continue to drain all the fuel or not. I wonder if flowing gas through the pump would be bad for it? How much gas did he put in it? This story is why NOONE touches my truck except me. NOONE.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Also just FYI you do not need to get all of the gas out of the tank. Get the majority out and then you will have to figure out a way to get a lot of diesel back into the tank, to dilute the gas. As others have said, be sure to drain the fuel filter bowl and pick up a new fuel filter as well, if you can. You know where that lever is on the bottom of the fuel filter canister to empty it is, i assume?

·
Rescue Tower
10,810 Posts
I think he put about 5 gallons in an almost empty tank.
That's it? :doh: Fill that thing with diesel and two stroke oil. Flush the line all the way to the VP, Change the filter, and run it.

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,650 Posts
Ok so a little bit different now. I was thinking he ran your truck low and then filled up with gas. Im betting that there was prob 5 gal or fuel left in the tank. So now you can fill the truck up and bleed the lines and change the fuel filter.

·
Rescue Tower
10,810 Posts
This is why I asked probing questions along with my comments.... Not enough people do that.
Because I get tired of answering stupid questions, just to have them skip right over my specific questions. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Be sure to note the instructions re adding 2-stroke.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Because I get tired of answering stupid questions, just to have them skip right over my specific questions. :thumbsup:
Well that's a good point. It is annoying when you are asking pertinent questions and people do not answer them.

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,650 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Or just assume the worst has happened as I did lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Makes sense too but I always assume that when some jackwagon borrows a truck and puts gas in it, they would only put in a few bucks worth. Cause they are a jackwagon.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.