Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made an adapter piece that will temporarily bolt in place of the wheel speed sensor on the front unit bearings, and will allow me to pump the bearing full of grease. The only thing holding me back is that I am unsure of how that will speed sensors ability to get a signal from the tone ring.

What do ya'll think?

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
6,404 Posts
Have read about a few people greasing the Front Hubs with no problems with the ABS... Go 4 it... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
842 Posts
The real concern that nobody seems to get is the compatability of the grease you are going to pump in there with the grease that is already there....do a search on grease compatability....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are we not just talking about wether its regular or synthetic wheel bearing grease.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Not the question at all....do the search...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done the search, still scratching my head. Now I'm trying to figure out what type of grease SFK used during the assembly of the unit bearing. I searched their website even tried cross refrencing their part number (BR930502) ........ any ideas?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've been doing it for some time now. All you need to do is put a rubber tip, like that off of a blow gun on the end of the greas gun and press it tight into the hole that the ABS senor came out of. Works great. Pump it full while turning the hub a few times. As far as grease compatibility goes, I've never encountered a problem. I've never heard of that one before. We used to switch greases all the time on the construction crew I used to work for. Used whatever was on sale or locally available.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ive been greasing quarter of a million dollor machines for 30 years now and have never heard of grease compatability.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Greases can be very incompatible. Sometimes they can work fine together, sometimes not. We're pretty specific about our bearings and their lubricants at work, but they go into tanks and airplanes. It also depends a lot on the design of the bearing. Grease failure isn't the only thing that will kill a bearing either. You would have to really cut apart the bearing to see why it failed.

On a pretty low speed application with loose tolerances like a wheel hub, I wouldn't hesitate to regrease the bearing. Grease is way more complicated than you think it is though.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ok....one more try for the "grab the grease gun-it don't make no difference what's in it crowd"....do a yahoo search on "grease compatability chart"

·
Registered
371 Posts
You are correct, grease incompatibilities can be pretty catastrophic sometimes. I would doubt that you can cause a catastrophic failure by mixing different types of automotive grease though.
-From a quick google, the top three wheel bearing greases I found (Castrol, Pennzoil, Timken) were all lithium complex types, these would be compatible.
-A wheel hub has to frequently stop and start so the bearing has to be designed to run dry for a little bit each time. A lack of grease (worst case) will not therefore not seize the bearing and fail catastrophically. I would expect most likely a galling failure in this case, allowing you a chance to notice it before it becomes dangerous.
-I don't see the combined greases causing any sort of corrosive damage either.

I will reiterate that I believe you are 100% correct, greases should not be mixed without any knowledge of the consequences. I am by no means an automotive safety expert either, but with my experience, I would expect using different types of automotive wheel bearing grease to not cause a catastrophic failure or dangerous situation without any kind of warning. Still, no one should change OE specifications (ie. regreasing unit bearings) without knowing what the consequences would be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts