Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Not sure if the tree was dying before I hit it, but can guarantee it was after I was finished.

funny you mention Tank. After the car was beat & front end wore out, I decided to retire it into the home town demo derby.
Flipped the spring shackles, jacked up the torreon bars, put 33” X 10”5 mud tires on.
The car was already dark green. Took black spray paint & painted tracks on the side, filled all windows in with cardboard with 2” slots to see out of, punched a hole through the roof. Made a swivel turret with fence post, ply wood.
Got 1st place in the parade. No one could see the brother in law & new sipping beer at 10am with a cooler in the back. Pointing the cannon to friends in the crowd.
Got second in the derby & used it in 2 more after that.
That old car was a tank from the beginning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Y’all are too much 🤣
I don’t know about trees, but I can confirm that a 8 ft railroad tie buried 3’ deep doesn’t stand a chance against a Ford 9n wheel lug nut. I sat it upright wheee it snapped off at the ground and went and did something else.
Just sayin’, took my parents almost 20 years to find that out. That fence fell over and my mom made the comment of “what a piece of …” so I finally told her.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Y’all are too much
I don’t know about trees, but I can confirm that a 8 ft railroad tie buried 3’ deep doesn’t stand a chance against a Ford 9n wheel lug nut. I sat it upright wheee it snapped off at the ground and went and did something else.
Just sayin’, took my parents almost 20 years to find that out. That fence fell over and my mom made the comment of “what a piece of …” so I finally told her.
Kind of reminds me of the time, years ago
Me and my sister were driving our John Deere gator 4x2 . We hit a tree stump that was hidden in tall gras . The force was so hard I got through out . Didn’t get hurt thankfully . I believe my sister was driving , she threaded me not to tell anyone . The bumper got bent . So when we parking it in the garage we pulled it in as far as we could against the wall. Dad noticed how it was parked when we came home .

He was miffed at us for trying to hide it and not tell him but also had to laugh. He said it was like it crawled in the garage to die lol. It took tying a chain to a tree and connecting that to the tow hook on the back , then using his truck with a chain on the bumper . That thing was very strong , how it got bent so easily I have no idea . Cause when we hit the stump, we were not going very fast from what I can recall. Ah those were the days.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kind of reminds me of the time, years ago
Me and my sister were driving our John Deere gator 4x2 . We hit a tree stump that was hidden in tall gras . The force was so hard I got through out . Didn’t get hurt thankfully . I believe my sister was driving , she threaded me not to tell anyone . The bumper got bent . So when we parking it in the garage we pulled it in as far as we could against the wall. Dad noticed how it was parked when we came home .

He was miffed at us for trying to hide it and not tell him but also had to laugh. He said it was like it crawled in the garage to die lol. It took tying a chain to a tree and connecting that to the tow hook on the back , then using his truck with a chain on the bumper . That thing was very strong , how it got bent so easily I have no idea . Cause when we hit the stump, we were not going very fast from what I can recall. Ah those were the days.

I don't think it even scuffed the paint on that dinosaur 9N...if it even had paint there. It's funny when you're almost 30 (at the time of admission of guilty anyway) and tell your parents how you messed something up that long ago when you're at Christmas dinner. I also hit my grandmothers taillight housing with a gate the wind ripped away from me, that was around 2003, I super glued the broken plastic in and I want to say it finally gave it up around 2015.

Honestly though, since I've had it back from the shop it doesn't quite ride the same. It locked up in my driveway when I drove it home, found that a caliper bolt had backed out completely and was MIA, replaced that so it was driveable again but you can tell some suspension parts need replacing - from wear and tear or the accident, I'm not about to even ask the insurance at this point, I'm tired of them. I had already done both upper control arms, both hubs, and shocks. I see there's a broken stabilizer bar on the passenger side that wasn't addressed so going to do both of those, the tie rod ends, and ball joints then get it aligned and new tires on the front - the driver side hub going bad wasn't noticeable until it failed all at once and locked up, but it was definitely the reason that tire is completely bald on the inside, but the outer tread looks new.
Oh and the first time I drove it to work it was surging like it was going to run out of fuel on the way home. Pulled the fuel filter and it was still actually yellow, not black. Checked my service and only 3k miles on it - bf said it was just from sitting for that long and I probably stirred up crap in the tank when I put diesel in it, because I left it at the shop with the fuel light on (not even sorry, wouldn't be the first time I took a truck to the shop with a full or close to it tank and picked it up on E). Runs fine now though, I drove it 180 miles roundtrip with the horsetrailer loaded this weekend without a hiccup.

I digress, driving the diesel 1 ton beast is getting to be a status symbol so I recently bought a Chrysler 300 because it was super cheap - after working on it for half a day I know why they're cheap, that V6 motor is a nightmare to put a water pump on. You know the economy is messed up when a luxury car is less of a status symbol than being able to drive a diesel pickup to work lol.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts