Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last December one of my workers drove my stock 2006 3500 dually into a guardrail so I was in the market for an aftermarket intercooler. I tried to get a Spearco, but was told the were back ordered and would be just as happy with an HTT, so that's what I got.

First drive after it was installed I thought I heard a slight hissing but the clamps and all looked good. The hiss eventual got real bad, not to mention black exhaust and no power. Taking a look at it, I found a large bulge in the bottommost cross tube and, though I couldn't see it, there was clearly a serious air leak where the bulge was.

Here's where the 3-ring circus really got going. I'd talk to someone and they would say "this is what we'll do to get you taken care of ...." Day's or weeks would go by with no progress and I'd call back, be handed over to a different person who'd say it couldn't be done the way I was told, but they'd take care of it.

Finally, after over a month of chaos HTT said that I'd have to buy a new one at list price and I would be given an immediate refund when the defective one was returned and they had confirmed that it was a warranty issue.

I paid my money and the replacement arrived in a box that was in pristine condition, but inside one of the mounting "ears" was busted off the new intercooler. I was told by HTT that they did not have anymore intercoolers, so I should just install the replacement and use it until more arrived. This at least got me up and running.

About 4 days after UPS confirmed delivery of the returned unit to HTT, I called to see where my refund was. Then I was told that the unit would have to be sent back to the factory because they make the final approval and it would only take a week or two. A week later I was told it would take at least a month to hear back from the factory and get my refund. I mentioned that I wasn't too pleased with this and they might be getting a bad review on the internet as a result.

Someone called back a day or so later and said that they decided to give me a refund for the replacement one because it was damaged by UPS. I said that UPS hadn't damaged it because the box was not damaged. They said that UPS had already admitted to and covered the damage - so in other words, HTT had known the replacement unit they had shipped to me was damaged before they sent it! When pressed on the refund of the original unit, they said that would be given when they heard back from the factory, which was still a ways out.

This week I called HTT again to get the status and sat on hold while I got passed around from person to person. Someone got on the line and told me that the refund that I got was actually for the original defective intercooler, that I couldn't get a refund on the replacement because I installed it and used it, and if I sent the defective replacement back to them, they had arranged for a welder to fix the broken mount. Otherwise, they would give me a $25 credit, which is what they normally charge customers for the repair.

I decided to take the $25 as payment for sharing this experience with others online. I can't recommend HTT until, at the least, they can get a customer service department that is capable of dealing with everyday ordinary problems in a timely, fair, and reasonable manner.

Regards,
AlpineRam

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hopefully they aren't an American company because that's plain embarassing.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
No wonder foreign companies and workers are gaining market share in the US.

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
I hate to hear you have had such trouble with High Tech. I have had nothing but great experiences with them and thier products. From the sounds of it they only sell someone elses intercooler, that has been a problem for me in the past when I was building trac bars. I ordered some jonny joints from Poly performance and when they arrived the threads were thrashed. So I called them and they told me I would have to buy new ones and return the old ones for inspection before they could give me my money back. I ended up taking a small file and fixing them. Dont give up on HTT they really do work hard to produce quality products!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate to hear you have had such trouble with High Tech. I have had nothing but great experiences with them and thier products. From the sounds of it they only sell someone elses intercooler, that has been a problem for me in the past when I was building trac bars. I ordered some jonny joints from Poly performance and when they arrived the threads were thrashed. So I called them and they told me I would have to buy new ones and return the old ones for inspection before they could give me my money back. I ended up taking a small file and fixing them. Dont give up on HTT they really do work hard to produce quality products!
Yes, they were for the most part pleasant, and meant well. I believe that there are some basic issues that they need to address for the business they are in:
1) The intercooler should be packaged with protection on the mount points so that they aren't so vulnerable, and the "ports" should be covered with cap-plugs to keep foreign things and moisture out of the intercooler.

2) HTT needs a customer service entity instead of the person that answers the phone creating a resolution to the problem on the fly that no one else knows about and turns out to be impossible to carry out when someone else answers the phone next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts