Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, bought me a 98 24v, with auto tranny. I am used to my 5 speed which is just more direct with the power uasage.

Anyway, seems like this thing slips a lot until tc lockup, in which case it pulls great.

when accelerating from a stop or slow speed it shifts from 1st almost immediately (couple seconds from initial take off) then while in 2nd and 3rd rpm's climb to a certain point that is associated with the amt of throttle I am giving it, then they hold steady while my speed increases

I am used to autos where the rpm's and speed increase even when not in tc lockup.

This whole issue is when I am at mild to moderate throttle

If I really get on it, it seems the rpms increase slowly but steadily as my speed increase

Again once in tc lockup there are no complaints, is this just the way these dodges are?

Thanks

·
Registered
492 Posts
mine is exactly the same, doesn't really seem to put the power down until tc lockup. Kinda sucks actually. Can anyone verify if this issue can be fixed by changing out the tc?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not overly concerned with it if thats just the way its supposed to be. If my relatively stock truck operates like it should, no biggie, but if its an issue I need to know about it.

I figure when I get the money to build a truck I will deal with the issue but in the mean time if they're all that way then I am cool with it

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
Yes the torque converter allows for seeming slipage. However all is not lost since you are deriving torque multipication through converter. The issue is diesel generates max torque at such low speed it is difficult to harness the power below say 2000 RPM. The other issue is due to way the governor action of IP works. A gasser is porportational to throttle to certain extendt. Diesel will deliver max torque easier. The example is: with a gasser at say 15% throttle you will get limited power. With a diesel set at 15% throttle it will go to near max power when loaded.
A lower stall converter will reduce the preceived slipage. But it is still a diesel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts