Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm towing my rock crawler down to black mountain for a weekend in the dirt. It's about 5 hour drive, so I decided why not cook some food on the manifold for when we arrive. From doing that, I realized my #1 and #2 cylinders are by far the hottest. #3 and #4 were slightly cooler. I had a potato wedged between #4 and #5 and it cooked great. The potato between #5 and #6 hardly cooked at all. Does this mean I have some fuel injector issues, or maybe some tolerances need to be checked? Thought I would throw that out there, sorry for the crude testing method. However the meal was great. Manifold chicken, steak, and baked popato, its whats for lunch!!
egt,s never got over 1100. probe mounted in manifold

·
Super Moderator
23,866 Posts
That is usually what it means when the temps are different on the cylinders. Some people use a infrared temp gun to check there injectors, cylinder temps.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does that work exactly? Is it the clearance between the injector and piston? Or do you think some injectors are putting out more fuel than others?

·
Super Moderator
23,866 Posts
How many miles on your injectors? To test them have the engine running and crack the nut loose at each injector 1 at a time. If the idle changes it's ok if no change on the idle that injector is bad.

Normally injectors don't last over 200,000 miles, they need to be lubed and cleaned with a fuel conditioner add to your tank for them to last longer and efficient.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts