Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Undercarriage Paint?

14903 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  mattyDC
what do you guys use on your undercarriages to get them to look black again? The winters are tough around here and I want to paint my underside so its black again. Do I need to sand or is there something I can just spray on?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Bubbles
1,189 Posts
I get mine as clean as i can,tape off all i dont want black and shoot a thin coat of spray paint. It has worked great for me. Im sure its not the best way, and only lasts about a year, but its really easy and cheap.

· Premium Member
280 Posts
That rubberized coating is soft and will grab and hold lots of dirt and particles in it a smooth finish would look better longer

· Registered
1,670 Posts
there was an article in one of the latest diesel power mags that had a whole write up on that. they took a obs 7.3 and used stuff to kill all the rust then coated everything with the black stuff that will last forever it was very interesting to read but seemed like a good deal of work

· Premium Member
6,359 Posts
I have used this on all of my trucks so far:
VHT SP671 - VHT Epoxy Paints
If you can get a coat on before the rust gets out of control, then touching up every spring is pretty easy. When I trade my '05 in on my '07 the undercarriage was nicer on my trade than on my new truck!

Attachments

· Banned
4,153 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
i wouldnt use any rubberized materials. the actually will hold moisture in. use something made for the job. POR 15

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.