Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
281 - 300 of 376 Posts

·
Banned
3,132 Posts
I think we will get accurate readings. This is a hot rod shop and they dyno hundreds of high hp cars.
what he means is... not human error... mechanical error.... slipping trans, similar to slipping clutch or belt will only hold what it will hold. your 1000hp goal may look like 650 with a slipping trans even though its a 1000hp setup..

imo should worry about not blowing a rod through the block after 3200rpm more than hp numbers.

but.. good luck

·
Premium Member
2000 Dodge Truck 4x4 Automatic
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
what he means is... not human error... mechanical error.... slipping trans, similar to slipping clutch or belt will only hold what it will hold. your 1000hp goal may look like 650 with a slipping trans even though its a 1000hp setup..

imo should worry about not blowing a rod through the block after 3200rpm more than hp numbers.

but.. good luck
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·

but.. good luck
1000 hp goal comes later with new tranny , injectors and compound turbos???

This run goal is 800 with single before we tear it down!!!????

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

but.. good luck
exactly, accurate in terms if wheel hp/tq vs wheel hp/tq and the typical driveline loss.

hope you hit 800, but i think that is a tall order with a slipping trans that might not build load and get tq numbers high enough in the vp44 sweet spot to make 800 hp. we will see

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
exactly, accurate in terms if wheel hp/tq vs wheel hp/tq and the typical driveline loss.

hope you hit 800, but i think that is a tall order with a slipping trans that might not build load and get tq numbers high enough in the vp44 sweet spot to make 800 hp. we will see
Yes we will see. It's just an attempt, nothing is guaranteed. I will say that if I do it like I explained I am confident we will make a good number. On the street it goes from 2000 rpm to 3500 very quickly without slipping. Only slips down low mostly before and just after tc locks.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Yes we will see. It's just an attempt, nothing is guaranteed. I will say that if I do it like I explained I am confident we will make a good number. On the street it goes from 2000 rpm to 3500 very quickly without slipping. Only slips down low mostly before and just after tc locks.
It'll be locked through the sweet spot 2200-2600 for torque. It will also be locked the rest of the way to end of rpm. As you said 3000 rpm peak hp. I can see that but each truck and setup runs just a little differently!!!

Anyway you are all going to get some entertainment watching all this go down. It'll be on YouTube and I'll share link in the end of my thread.

Will start new thread for tranny rebuild and Compounds/injectors after this dyno run.

Right now I am focusing on all the little things to maximize potential!!! Will share later. Hope Dyno shop calls soon!!!

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·

Well I took a couple runs tonight after I put Royal Purple 75w 140 and FR3 in rear axle.

Axle runs a little warmer which is ok.

800 horsepower is history. This thing is an absolute crazy beast. Instantaneous power and it just keeps on pulling and pulling. I am thrilled and a little awed!!!

You guys are going to get to see and hear something special!

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
The older lady where I'm staying heard me getting on it and she said it sounds really good. She said the turbo whistle is quite loud. Doesn't sound like a diesel???

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Ordered new Mishimoto Liquid Chill and Redline Water Wetter. Reduce engine water temp to 160 degrees. All for performance! Also got Royal Purple 15w 40 oil.

·
Premium Member
Lower carbon footprint than electric vehicles
3,153 Posts
When you say the torque converter is slipping if you get on it at lower rpm locked in 3rd, are you sure it's not downshifting? Unless you have a lockup switch to keep the converter locked up and in gear you can't floor it, only about 90% throttle, if rpm's are below ~18-1900. Might want to look into wiring up a lockup switch. Could help you build torque being a 3rd gear run.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
When you say the torque converter is slipping if you get on it at lower rpm locked in 3rd, are you sure it's not downshifting? Unless you have a lockup switch to keep the converter locked up and in gear you can't floor it, only about 90% throttle, if rpm's are below ~18-1900. Might want to look into wiring up a lockup switch. Could help you build torque being a 3rd gear run.
Pretty sure problem is electronic. I'll look into lockup switch!

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
If the rpm was flaring up a lot, like 2500+ probably was kicking down. If it was they were sliding up gradually then it was slippage.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
No it's unlocking immediately after it locks. Then it locks unlocks back and forth steadily all this happens below 2000 rpms. Then if it locks and you give it too much it lets go.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ordered new Mishimoto Liquid Chill and Redline Water Wetter. Reduce engine water temp to 160 degrees. All for performance! Also got Royal Purple 15w 40 oil.
Just fyi, you’ll make more horsepower with a warmer engine.

Heat = energy

No way around the math.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
If you’re implying I’m lying I hope you would reconsider.

This is about as simple as it gets.

Q = mcΔT

Do the math.
I'll reconsider if you acknowledge that companies like Mishimoto that Sponsor me are not liars about keeping engine cooler making more power! They know their S$i%I. You are talking about a stock engine.....we are "Far From Stock".

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
540 is an embarrassing number.......on your part! Trying to save you some dignity. I did a full on boosted launch yesterday........add 200 to your guess you might get close. Front end wants to come off ground....at least it launches feeling that way. 540 will not do that on a 6800 pound truck. Fact!

We're good!

Tell Scheid, Firepunk, Zeigler, a hotter engine makes more power and they should stop spraying nitrous, water and ice in their tanks and spray hot air into cylinder and see what they tell you!

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
You're kind of mixed up on what he is saying. A hotter engine will make more power to achieve a complete burn but you want the incoming air to be as dense as possible. That's the reason for the ice. You don't want the engine as cool as possible, you just don't want it too hot to where it will pull fuel but just under.

281 - 300 of 376 Posts