Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If you’re looking for a high horsepower truck, why not just do it responsibly with better tuning and use of the Quadzilla Adrenaline?

If you are not netting same or better horse power then I guarantee it’s in your tuning. Quad is so much more capable than Edge.

Second thought, if you’re looking for a high horse power truck period then why are you not looking into a responsible common rail build? It’s no secret that your truck is going to be dirty as could be. As much as I love my second gen I also love the fact that my 4th gen makes more power and does it CLEANLY.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Going out today to make some video for YouTube channel. Will try and get posted today or at least this weekend. Truck will be down for awhile after Monday. Getting Redhead steering gearbox, rare parts adjustable track bar and blinker/wiper switch. Oh and Scheid Stage 2 VP 44 upgrade.
Have you changed your blinker fluid lately?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
540 is an embarrassing number.......on your part! Trying to save you some dignity. I did a full on boosted launch yesterday........add 200 to your guess you might get close. Front end wants to come off ground....at least it launches feeling that way. 540 will not do that on a 6800 pound truck. Fact!

We're good!

Tell Scheid, Firepunk, Zeigler, a hotter engine makes more power and they should stop spraying nitrous, water and ice in their tanks and spray hot air into cylinder and see what they tell you!
I almost find it comical that you’re too wrapped up in my arbitrary horsepower guess to see what it is that I’m trying to tell you with regards to heat vs energy.

Interested to see what kind of horsepower you make. Please don’t hold a grudge when you come closer to an “unrealistic” number.

What you feel doesn’t matter when it comes to reality.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I’m not here to throw stones, merely trying to help.

It’s clear you have some perceptions of how things work and that’s perfectly fine. We are all entitled to an opinion and I respect that.

Best of luck to you buddy.

Also, my power guess stands.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Very well put and I would agree with 100% of what has been said.

There’s a lot of science behind making an engine perform and believe it or not simple things like fuel temperature and jacket water temperature play a huge role with engine specs and certification. (Just FYI, I’ve been in this area for a while)

EPA has required parameters as such to be included and within spec prior to shipment otherwise the manufacture is liable for fines and suit.

All of that said, you will make more power with a 190-200 thermostat than with a 160. You can argue heat soak all day and I will join you in saying that there is a healthy balance in making sure that the engine is warm but not too warm. Even at that, unless you plan to be on the dyno for multiple hours on end I don’t see the point other than losing hp.

If you are that worried and think that a lower jacket temp will help then why not just pull the thermostat?

Lastly, I want to provoke thought by asking why sled pullers warm their motors up prior to pulling? Many of which don’t even have cooling systems and are running filled blocks.

Surely they know they are heat soaking their blocks?!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Way back in the day........Lenny Reed told me he would not warranty bhis work if i didnt let the engine oil pressure come down which takes warming up??? There are more than one reason to warm up an engine.

Also in regards to timing as was stated the edge and Scheid pump both add timing so explain how that all factors in to engine temperature for ignition timing based on temperature?????

Why do the manufacturers even use a intercooler at all. Why not simply run a hot as possible engine for the all powerful hot as hell engine????

Take the oxygen away from the intake charge is where you lose power???

Everybody remember shop in school and learning how to use a cutting torch. What did you get when you turned on the acetalyne without oxygen. Black soot and a cold flame. What happened when you turned up the OXYGEN!!! Fire.......hot fire and power. Take the oxygen out of the equation as in a hot air charge you get black soot low energy mess of puke!!!
Oil temp is important and so is heat in the cylinders.

Lavon had a hard time getting their UCC truck to light on the dyno due to not enough heat built up in the engine and too much fuel. There are several other instance on film of pullers and dyno trucks needing some heat in the engine prior to making a run or even being able to decently move.

Injection timing will be variable but probably maxed at ~30 degrees early on in the run due to the Edge and pump.

No such thing as ignition timing on a Diesel engine (Diesel engines work off of compression). I think you’re getting confused here.

SCACs, ATAACs, and in general CACs are all designed to bring down IMAT which in turn generally results in an increase in IMAP which is your end goal in creating a denser charge air. As your air density increases your power will also increase to an extent. Important to note though that a denser charge air can be the result of really anything (injectables, turbos, etc..)

In a complete different ball field you have the actual heat that is within the motor. Again, being that we are dealing with a compression motor we need heat and ultimately pressure in order to create ignition. The more heat and pressure in the cylinder the bigger boom. For this reason (and others) common rail engines have what’s called a pilot stage where a small bit of fuel is injected super early in the compression stroke creating a bit of heat allowing for a larger main injection event and more complete burn of a larger density of fuel.

Being that the vp only has a single injection event you want this event well placed. With the Edge you have 0 control over this event.

Getting off track but the formula for your success looks something like:

Fuel
Dense air
Warm motor

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Then you better explain yourself.......the whole world wants to know now including me. If i say or imply something wrong or not supported by science or trial and error, i need to know so as to not condone something that is wrong????
Are you familiar with Larry the Cable Guy?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts