Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty guys,
I come from a world of drag racing and highly modified Mustangs and I am starting to dabble in the diesel world. I know the 'recipe' for a 12second DD Mustang as well as the 'recipe' for an 8second drag Mustang so I wanna know this, given the below info and potential goals, how would You do things?

The Truck:
2004 3500 QCSB SRW 4x4
136K+ Miles
48RE
Edge Attitude
4" Silverline (Sitting in the garage at the moment)
AFE Intake
275/65/20 Goodyears on 20x9 XD Monsters (To Be Determined)

Goals: (In order of importance)
-Daily Driveable (I want to be able to get in my truck and drive it 1500miles and not even BEGIN to worry about mechanical failure.)
-20K Towing Capacity (This IS a truck after all)
-Decent Mileage (14 in town minimum)
-13.70 1/4 ETs

The truck is currently a daily driver but may not always be. I don't tow over 8K often but I don't wanna hesitate to tow a triple axle 40ft goose if I need to. I want the 1/4 ETs so I can spank mildly modded LS1 Camaros but I have a street car and a drag car in progress so I don't plan to ever 4x4 launch it. Thanks everyone!
-Kyle
(BTW, I know there is money to be spent here, I just wanna see what your opinions are!)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Read "cumminalong" post titled "the build-up (lots of pics)", it's a lot of reading but very detailed with finished drag vids. He goes into how's/why's of the whole process. WELL worth the time.

Dave

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is definately one of the nicest all around trucks I've seen. Very well thought out build with quality parts.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Beef up your trans.
Get some gauges.
Replace your lift pump and get better filtration.
Go with a slightly larger turbo to help keep things cool.
Get a Smarty.
You should be there no problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read "cumminalong" post titled "the build-up (lots of pics)", it's a lot of reading but very detailed with finished drag vids. He goes into how's/why's of the whole process. WELL worth the time.
Dave
I am about ~20pgs deep into the thread and there is some awesome information in there! (I am ALL about knowing more and more about everything mechanical) That being said, I feel as though a lot of his tips/tricks won't apply to my "450HP" truck build.

Striper said:
Beef up your trans.
Get some gauges.
Replace your lift pump and get better filtration.
Go with a slightly larger turbo to help keep things cool.
Get a Smarty.
You should be there no problem.
-I am planning to either keep the Edge on 0 as use it for monitoring or just getting all new gauges but I will be adding trans. temp in the next month or so.
-Any insight on the trans? I realize this is highly debated on this site but I am thinking a good TC, a basic rebuild, a good valve body and a deep pan should do the trick.
-I figured the Smarty is a given.
-The lift pump is the new style but I am thinking a FASS/AD is not a bad idea.
-Any insight on the turbo? I am wondering if a HE351 (I think) will get me there or if I will need to go with a 62.
-Any ideas on injectors? I am thinking 90hp but maybe not?
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
450hp lol exhaust intake and programmer and a better trans you dont need billet done deal 450 is nothing

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha. Well, I guess I don't really know how much HP I am looking for, I just want it to be "13.70s capable". I am sure that sounds rather silly since I won't be racing it but I can't think of how else to describe how fast I want it to be, hah!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
nothing saying you can't tow your 8 second mustang to the track with your 11 second truck.........., hell it would probably be able to make a 14 second pass with the mustang, on the trailer !

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nothing saying you can't tow your 8 second mustang to the track with your 11 second truck.........., hell it would probably be able to make a 14 second pass with the mustang, on the trailer !
Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have an 11sec Cummins but that is definitely NOT in my budget! :S:

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
First two mods, judging by alot of recent posts: smoke switch and lope tune. The silencer ring MIA is a given...

13.7 has been done on an otherwise stock truck and Smarty, depending on locale. Trans defiantely should be done before too long. Well, I guess that's 04.5-07 trucks...

Trans
Smarty
90s
Might as well toss a turbo in there, say a 62/71. Or compound stock/475.

If that didn't run better than 13.7, your driving sucks:hehe:

Or just go for broke, and throw triples, 200 nozzles, dual pumps, yadda yadda and pull the stang to the track with your 8-1000hp pickup

·
Registered
435 Posts
I don't think you will need injectors to get there. I'm at low 13 with what I recommended in addition to a pressure box. If you go with a turbo, a 62/71 will not disappoint you.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I don't think you will need injectors to get there. I'm at low 13 with what I recommended in addition to a pressure box. If you go with a turbo, a 62/71 will not disappoint you.
kinda happy reading that. i wonder how my 05 will sit at before i get the Arson 3 kit. im looking to get rid of my Edge J/A hot for a Smarty. i miss my old smarty, thought id try an Edge. i just got new shoes on the truck, 315/70 17's(34.5) and shouldn't change much.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have my transmission being prepped for a reliable daily driver transmission able to handle 500+hp and 1000ftlbs of torque. I am putting billet flexplate, torque converter (triple disk) and billet input and output. I am also looking for the best heavy duty clutch pack (not to hijack thread)

·
Registered
276 Posts
spanking mildly modified LS1 Camaros/Trans Am's or Vettes is gonna take a bit better than a 13.70 et goal... with that 13.70 you might be able to hang with LT1 stuff. LS1 cars run high 12's stock with a 6 speed and low 13's with an auto... all at over 105 mph... my SS did 12.92 at 109 with a 6 speed and nitto dr's... and that was only a 2.0 sixty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts