Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I thought I had seen all the car haulers out there until I saw this site so I thought I'd post it in case someone was looking for something a little different. I am looking for a 4 car hauler and this one is on my short list now, along with Take3.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The only thing I remember is a few years back reading (think on the tdr) about someone complaining about excessive flex that led to some frame issues. I like the idea, that would make getting under for tie down easy. Really have not even seen there name since back then.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
And I'm sure the Ullman is lighter than the other trailers of its type. The man I talked to, James, said the crossbars eliminate flex, but the trailer needs a hitch that will allow the neck to move from side to side as well as front to back for stability.

I've priced a Take3 through Morris Trailer Illinois Wedge Gooseneck Stacker Race Car Multi Car Hauler Living Quarters Dump and it's over $2000 cheaper than the Ullman, plus the finance down payment is much lower as well, so that may be the way I'll go. And Take3 is much closer to me than Ullman so the round trip is only about 5 hours vs an overnight trip to Ullman in Kansas.

·
Registered
882 Posts
And I'm sure the Ullman is lighter than the other trailers of its type. The man I talked to, James, said the crossbars eliminate flex, but the trailer needs a hitch that will allow the neck to move from side to side as well as front to back for stability.

I've priced a Take3 through Morris Trailer Illinois Wedge Gooseneck Stacker Race Car Multi Car Hauler Living Quarters Dump and it's over $2000 cheaper than the Ullman, plus the finance down payment is much lower as well, so that may be the way I'll go. And Take3 is much closer to me than Ullman so the round trip is only about 5 hours vs an overnight trip to Ullman in Kansas.
Big Tex also makes a trailer like the Ullman. BTW You should be able to do much better buying someplace else. The deals offered there are usually beatable by thousands. The owner Sue doesn't give anything away!! Oh and can be a real pain to deal with (her and Mary), I had a real bad experience with them that ended with the IL Secretary of State police getting involved.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O boy that doesn't sound good. Did they try to stiff you on the price?

What should I reasonably pay for a 53' 3/4 car hauler? Kaufman has a double-decker 4 car for $14,400. I'm kind of leery about those top vehicles though. I saw a big rig flipped over on a curved entrance ramp here in Ft. Worth, guess he went in a little too hot, probly wasn't paying attention to the posted speed sign.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Are you just getting into this or are you already a car hauler?

My opinion is no matter how you put it 4 cars is too much for a 3500.

Now Kaufman is an inexpensive alternative like Applachian. My self if I were to go away from rv's I would look at take 3's step deck. You can still get 53ft, and it also leaves you open to freight, trailers, and higher vehicles.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you just getting into this or are you already a car hauler?

My opinion is no matter how you put it 4 cars is too much for a 3500.

Now Kaufman is an inexpensive alternative like Applachian. My self if I were to go away from rv's I would look at take 3's step deck. You can still get 53ft, and it also leaves you open to freight, trailers, and higher vehicles.
I've hauled cars before but not 3 or 4 at a time. As to 4 cars being too much, the Kaufman site has a 3500 pulling their loaded mini5 in a video. Personally I think that's a job for an F650.

The main upgrade for my truck would be bigger front brakes and maybe an exhaust brake too. Then a better clutch, a Spearco cooler, Evans coolant and some hp/tq upgrades to maybe 400rwhp/800-1000tq.

If I could afford a Dodge 4500-5500 I would go that route but right now I can spend the money on upgrades easier than make a huge monthly pmt.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I looked at the Take3 step deck and the drop deck several months ago. Nice trailers but they weigh 2000lbs more than the Model 53 Wedge. If I haul 4 cars I need to save every pound I can with the trailer for a weight cushion for the cars. Plus they're too tall for Vettes and low-slung cars like that. You'll never get them over that dovetail hump either.

I'm going to get all the specs and options of these trailers and go from there price-wise. I will definitely get the trailer-haul option.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Read the specs on the mini 5 (pin weight), there is no way a 3500 can support 9k.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Read the specs on the mini 5 (pin weight), there is no way a 3500 can support 9k.
Mine did!!!!!!:lol3: actually a tad bit more. but thats why my b&w gooseneck got destroyed. lol

I personally dont think a 4th car would matter between a 3500 and 5500. IMO a 3rd car is to much for a any 1 ton. So if your gonna go all out, might as well get the 4th and really overload her:thumbsup Go make that money, trucks are replaceable, this is the car hauling biz, not keep trucks with low mileage and pretty looking. Make that money:hyper:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Would loading the heaviest car in the back help. I also want to get into the car hauling business. I am saving money for a trailer.

·
Registered
882 Posts
That does help balance the load, along with loading car backwards too. You need to save up for more than a trailer, its all the other costs of getting started that will kill you. Heck the trailer is the easy part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks haulin-rv. The four car step-deck trailer would be perfect for what I want to eventually do. How much was that trailer? PM me with additional information in getting started if you can please.
Thanks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You can get to 20k pretty easy for one. I'd find a decent used affordable trailer to start, but before you progress to far get some insurance quotes. Seems 8-12k a year is pretty normal. Some guys get lucky and get it a bit cheaper, but it depends on you, your equipment, and your location.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry for the late response. You are right. Stuff adds up quick. I live in California and for me I would need the following.

*Buisness licence.
*Class A with electric brake endorsement only.
*CA number
*ML number and i think DOT number if I want to leave the state.
Not sure about haz-mat training.

Additional advice and information is appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts