Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if the Rams came with all grease able UJoints or if it was just the fronts. I know the front driveshaft has the needle fitting on it I was curious if the same goes for the rears. I'd look myself but the truck is in the body shop.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Just curious if the Rams came with all grease able UJoints or if it was just the fronts. I know the front driveshaft has the needle fitting on it I was curious if the same goes for the rears. I'd look myself but the truck is in the body shop.
None of the stock u-joints are greasable except the centering ball assembly in the front driveshaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody have a recommendation on a replacement u-joint for the rear drive shaft for 2018 Ram 2500? The local NAPA store didn't even list this part. I bought one from O'Reilly's that appeared to have the correct dimensions, but the body of the joint physically won't fit into the yoke on the driveshaft. Since I had the driveshaft out with nothing to put back in, I paid a lot more for the OEM part from a dealer because I needed it now, but it's not grease-able. When the next one goes out, I'd like to replace it with one that is.

I've gone back and forth on greaseable vs. non-greaseable joints. The original joint I took out hadn't failed yet, but it was just starting to squeak. One of the bearing caps had no grease left in it at all and was starting to rust. .

·
Registered
520 Posts
Non greaseable is stronger. My stock fronts went 172k on my 2011. New ones cost me $100, buddy works for a drive line repair shop.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
The only joints that fit correctly are AAM. Only a few thousandths difference but the other brands will quickly wear or immediately vibrate if forced into the yoke. They’re dealer or driveshaft shop items. they are non greasable. The non greasable type tend to last longer because nobody greases u joints properly and greasable joints use seals that allow excess grease out and water in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts