Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

This morning I installed an Edge Juice with Attitude, set up all the alerts and such, and took it for a spin. Things were going great until I got on an open stretch of road and I rolled into it. It was pulling hard, but then my low fuel pressure warning told me I was only seeing 2 psi!! At idle it's only showing 9-10 psi.

Looks like I need a new lift pump, right?

I realize there are alterntatives to the factory style lift pump, but that's just not in the budget right now so here's my question. Is any particular lift pump better or worse than another? What brands are good/bad? I may only have it for a year or two before upgrading, but I obviously need something now!

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I like my BD pump. It's a good alternative to some of the high priced units. It works great if you're not planning on adding tons of horsepower. But yet it was a definite improvment over stock.

·
Registered
565 Posts
your accruing damage to your VP under 5 psi, I'd back off and maybe run your truck stock till you get a new pump.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, yeah, it's on stock mode and I'm doing what I can to keep the FP high (i.e. keeping my foot out of it!). I'm still learning all the retailers, but who sells the BD unit? I'm not familiar with it....yet. :)

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Registered
565 Posts
there are tons of vendors here on this forum, just post a new thread asking for price quotes for the products you need. A stock LP is not much money, $130 bucks to keep you going till you can get something better.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Done! Thanks... :)

Tommy

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Just post a thread in the "request a price quote" area. Kyle at XDP hooked me up!

·
Registered
389 Posts
$130?! Last week I paid $692 Canadian including taxes for Cummins to replace the stock LP. $270 for it plus wiring harness, 3.3 hours labour at $103/hr. Our dollars are at par, but our Canadian prices have a ways to go yet!!!!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
all you really need is a DPP HPFP...it will keep you going:thumbsup

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bigblue, what's a DPP HPFP? Please pardon my ignorance. :)

Advance Auto right by my house has a pump in stock for $160. For convenience purposes I may pick it up tomorrow morning and install it unless anyone has a compeling reason not to....

Tommy

·
Registered
228 Posts
i would not just for the simple reason you will be doing again before to long and there not that fun to put on just save a little longer im not sayin go spend a pile on a fass but get something better than stock unit check out some of the inline pumps

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I guess I'm still learning what all my options are. I'd be willing to spend up to maybe $300 or so right now, but having only had the truck a week I've still got a lot of learning to do.

But I don't want to put off replacing this pump. Right now my VP44 is taking up the slack for my lift pump so I need to get it swapped out ASAP regardless. As I understand it, I could just slap in a stock style replacement for about $150. Or I could get the Raptor setup (w/o filter) for about $300. Or I could pony up for the Airdog or FASS system at $500.

If I've got other options, I'd love to hear about them! I've been searching, but there's quite a few posts that pull up when you search for this topic so there's tons to sift through. :)

Tommy

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, I guess I'm still learning what all my options are. I'd be willing to spend up to maybe $300 or so right now, but having only had the truck a week I've still got a lot of learning to do.

But I don't want to put off replacing this pump. Right now my VP44 is taking up the slack for my lift pump so I need to get it swapped out ASAP regardless. As I understand it, I could just slap in a stock style replacement for about $150. Or I could get the Raptor setup (w/o filter) for about $300. Or I could pony up for the Airdog or FASS system at $500.

If I've got other options, I'd love to hear about them! I've been searching, but there's quite a few posts that pull up when you search for this topic so there's tons to sift through. :)

Tommy

Just buy what you can afford, I installed a new Stock LP on my truck a year ago, I drive every day with my juice on Level 4 and tow a 9,000 lb trailer on level 3 with out any pressure problems. I just got an Air dog 150 this holiday weekend, I just have to install the draw straw tomorrow.

Your going to want a system like this in the future since they have better filters and remove all water and air from the fuel, if you can't pony up the :$: for a FASS or Airdog tomorrow, I'd just spend the $160 and go with a stock-er for a few months in till you can.

Just my 2 cents :thumbsup

·
Registered
229 Posts
Could be just time to change your fuel filter. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
alliant power makes a good lift pump with a bypass so in case it goes out it won't fry your vp44 i think it costed me like $220

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
your accruing damage to your VP under 5 psi, I'd back off and maybe run your truck stock till you get a new pump.
Actually anything under 10 PSI you doing harm...:w::thud:

Right out of the Dodge FSM...

I would look at a ArDog 150 fuel pump...

(Pic is clickable)

It replaces everything. Fuel lines, banjo bolts, fuel filter, water separator, pick up tube, etc... It a complete kit and it worth the money to do it... Because the entire kit is covered by a lifetime warranty from AirDog... Then you'll never worry about fuel pressure again...

My fuel pressure is 15 PSI at WOT (Edge Comp 5x5) and at idle sshown above...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!

Random, you're right. It may just be a fuel filter!

Michael, I've been up and down all over your site. It's great and very imformative. I'm sure you get this all the time, but thanks for taking the time to run it! The only issue with me is the cost....and to a lesser extent, time. I need a pump ASAP. I also really would be strapped to shell out $500 right now having just spend a lot of cashola to purchase the truck. I would actually be okay buying a $150 pump in the interim and then do a nice Airdog setup maybe even later in the year or so. I realize it's not the best option, but it may be the best option for me....right now.

Nonetheless, I'm still interested in what you all have to say. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Well...

I would hand to a AirTex pump which is better that stock factory pump but its a direct replacement... Roughly $120 to $160 bucks for one...:w:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! I'll look into that. I had an AirTex in my Bronco and it served me well. I'll see what I can find locally.

Tommy

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I'll be.....

I assumed I had a block mounted lift pump. I just went and checked under the hood and there appears to be just a silver junction block of sorts there, but no lift pump. I suppose that means this truck has been retrofitted with an in-tank pump. I looked around the tank (damn that thing's long!), but couldn't really see any electrical connections.

Is there an easy, definitive way to tell if I've got the in-tank retrofit done?

Tommy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts