Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alrighty guys this is the situation i just had a shop install a new twin disk SPEC clutch on my 96. there was a bit of a mix up.originally asked them to bring in a DD south bend 3600 but the guy accidently brought in a south bend CON FE. told me it would take 5 days to ship and my truck was already ripped apart in the shop. anyways they told me they had a DD SPEC clutch in stock and said it was an awesome clutch. so i told them to put it in. anyways on my way home i clocked off my tach to monitor the KM for the new clutch. i hit roughly 62 km shifted into 3rd gear. let the clutch and all of a sudden there was this whining screeching sound coming from the transmission. i gave it gas and i wasnt accelerating! so i coasted to the side of the road and put it in neutral and listened. theres abnormal sound coming from the tranny while just idling. as soon as i put it in gear that same scraping whining nosie is coming from the tranny and it wont move. it goes into all the gears easily.. needless to say i phoned them ASAP. they gave me a number to call there tow truck driver so he picked the truck up. they are going to have a look at the truck tom morning. just wondering guys what the hell do you think happend?! this clutch had 61 km on it! do you guys think it could be the release bearing or something? any ideas would be greatly appeciated

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
tell them to take that thing out and get you the clutch you originally wanted (the southbend dd). i would even tell them to overnight it and have you ready to rock and roll by this weekend....just my .02. If they say no way, get your money back, order the southbend from one of our vendors here and get it put in by someone else if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself!!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
:agree2: i would get the one you wanted
but no idea on the problem

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
You may have broke the input shaft.

Peter
thats what i was thinking also.

also i would have them install the clutch you originally wanted after they fix your transmission. good luck.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
they told me that i should be fine running my stock input shaft. said that lots of big power trucks still run there stock input shaft?? and that the 1 3/8 is not that much different from stock when put side by side. said that if its going to go its going to go it dont matter. i dno guys he told me that to my dad and i. i been doing lots of research before and thought thats what you always do usually when putting in a DD clutch. that you beef up your input shaft. they will be taking a look at it this morning so we'll see. ill let you guys know what happens.

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
you really should upgrade to the bigger shaft!!!

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
this shop sounds like they dont know their head from their :butt: i would get all of my money back, buy the southbend i originally wanted, tow the truck away from that shop and get it put in elsewhere. im not sure if you need the hydro upgrade or not as i think your year truck had the stout hydros in it, but the input shaft to me would be a must.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
so i just found out it WAS the input shaft that snapped. was lucky i never took out my release bearing they told me. the clutch is 100% ok. i told them i was not launching the truck i shifted fairly hard from 2nd to 3rd. but anyways they are putting in a new input shaft and are cutting me a good deal on it. thanks for the input guys

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
its in your best intrest to get a new clutch and the upgraded input shaft put in so that you dont have to go though this all over again in a few miles. also your signature states more to come. i would think you would want to be prepared to handle the added power when you get it.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya this truck is going to be putting out lot of power here in the next few months(twin turbo,injectors etc) i plan on racing it. i have been browsing around and looking at the billet input shafts. thats probably what im going to after. going to see what they will do for me. so far they have been pretty understanding and helpful. had the truck back for 3hrs and that input shaft broke. i figure im going to keep the clutch cause i have read up on them and they clamp to what ever you throw at it. and thats what im after. just wished they did what i asked to begin with and has that bigger input shaft installed. reason they didnt cause they did not have one in stock. but they told me i should be fine as long as i am not launching it in 4th. but ill be talkin to them tomorrow

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
ya this truck is going to be putting out lot of power here in the next few months(twin turbo,injectors etc) i plan on racing it. i have been browsing around and looking at the billet input shafts. thats probably what im going to after. going to see what they will do for me. so far they have been pretty understanding and helpful. had the truck back for 3hrs and that input shaft broke. i figure im going to keep the clutch cause i have read up on them and they clamp to what ever you throw at it. and thats what im after. just wished they did what i asked to begin with and has that bigger input shaft installed. reason they didnt cause they did not have one in stock. but they told me i should be fine as long as i am not launching it in 4th. but ill be talkin to them tomorrow
i wouldnt recommend doing any hard launches without the hardened input shaft. i have seen them fail with very lightly modded truck. with only a third gear soft launch let alone boosted. i just dont want to see you have to go through this again. thats all. this time you were lucky the clutch didnt get destroyed or break anything else.

·
Registered
233 Posts
so i just found out it WAS the input shaft that snapped. the clutch is 100% ok. they told me no 4th gear launches?? like wtf i told them i was not launching the truck i shifted fairly hard from 2nd to 3rd.

1st..
Shouldnt you change this to a "Problem with transmission" thread?
The clutch didnt have anything to do with the o/p shaft breaking. :$:

Since when does 4th gear launches belong in "911 urgent situations" ?

:peelout+ :butt:= :CRY:.

Self inflicted wounds always hurt the most.

:thumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts