Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '04 5.9 (late '04, lift pump conversion) has 4 injectors running anywhere from 93-97%, and the other 2 were 103 and 108%. Do I need to replace all six? Or any at all? And if so, does anybody know a good place? I got quoted 3100$ parts and labor, but problem is the place that did my valves recommended this other place, and it's real funny how I never had these problems until after my valve job... my truck only has 194k kms, should I even be worried about injectors running 93%? My fuel mileage is still 22mpg on the highway, and about 12-13 in town with the trailer...

·
Registered
25 Posts
that is not that bad, even with the winter fuel at warmer temperatures, I wouldn't say you need injectors yet! wait until summer, ensure your filter is clean and run some tank cleaner through to get rid of any algae build up in the tank!!! If your fuel has a merky look to it and not clear you prob have an algae problem and should drain your tank, change the filter, add fresh fuel with an additive.:thumbsup

Still unless you have any driveability problems and your over 95% average your ok, I would like to see which cylinders were what and which bank was over compensating as well as your exhaust temperature at each cylinder to make a judgment call like that!

Hope this helps:thumbsup

·
Registered
555 Posts
how do u tell what % each injector is at sorry to steal the tread

·
Registered
25 Posts
scan tool:$:

·
Registered
555 Posts
so it all electronic then

·
Registered
25 Posts
:thumbsup

computer calculated formula (algorithm)

·
Registered
555 Posts
ok thank mopar mechanic

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanx! I think it was cylinders 3 and 4 that were compensating. I only use husky diesel, and I use kleen flo diesel lubricant with every tank, and I use double the recommended amount. What do you recommend for potential algae problems? and by draining the tank do you mean letting it got right to e before filling it up? Or actually getting in there with a hose and syphoning it out? I change my filter every 10000kms or so, and generally I take great care of that truck... what's really funny is that cylinder 1 was the worst one, once again right after my valve job... there's no knocking from the intake either... nice to know that I may be able to hold off on injectors tho!

·
Registered
86 Posts
if your not noticing any knocking or missfiring i wouldnt worry about it,

ive done injector performance tests on brand new trucks and have seen those numbers, they vary with engine temp...
i have also done that test with 2 bent pushrods on the same cylinder and have seen 88% - 90%,

do not trust that test, only use it with other ways to determine faulty injectors...

but like mopar-mechanic said in the other post, re-check your valves....

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool... well everything seems to point to the valves... thanx guys i'll let u know how it turns out

·
Registered
25 Posts
if your not noticing any knocking or missfiring i wouldnt worry about it,

ive done injector performance tests on brand new trucks and have seen those numbers, they vary with engine temp...
i have also done that test with 2 bent pushrods on the same cylinder and have seen 88% - 90%,

do not trust that test, only use it with other ways to determine faulty injectors...

but like mopar-mechanic said in the other post, re-check your valves....
What he said:agree2:

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey, I meant to ask, algae can actually survive in the winter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
sure can, your fuel is heated as it passes through a preheater as well as through the fuel rail before being returned to the tank, if you are running additives however, you are probably ok. Remove your fuel filter and inspect the fuel bowl, if its a merky white color, you have an algae problem, if its crisp and clear, you don't. Also algae can exist in the distributors tank and you fill your tank with bad fuel right out of the gate, this is generally only a problem with fueling stations that have low volume, thats why I try and only fill up at busy refueling stops.

Hope this helps :beer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts