Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I received another notification for an over the air update. Got home, turned off truck, set the current time for update, and it proceeded to update. Although, I did notice that my clock was wrong and never noticed this before. This morning I noticed that the clock was 4 hours off from my current time. I checked and it does say to sync with GPS. I can change it manually, but it doesn't seem to sync anymore. Anyone else have this problem or a solution. I called Uconnect and they didn't have a clue about that. Also, not sure if this is a second update or the initial update I thought it did a few weeks back.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Did the update go through ok? What version are you on now?
I'm guessing the clock is off because the update failed. The new update fixes the GPS roll over date issue that occurred this past weekend

Best to just do the update manually. Go here and put in you VIN
https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

Download the update, unzip and put on a usb drive. Should be version 18.45.01 ( or 18.xx.xx)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you are correct. I am still showing version 17.11.17. I went online and seen that version 18.45.01 is available. I downloaded it and it went to my laptop. Do I just copy it to my usb and then extract. It seems a little confusing on the instructions.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I think I got it. There are 5 different files in the zip folder. I just moved them over to the usb. that should work then.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
OK, I think I got it. There are 5 different files in the zip folder. I just moved them over to the usb. that should work then.
Yes, move the 5 files to a USB drive. The drive must be formatted FAT32. Install it in the console USB port and turn the ignition on and it should recognize the drive and ask if you want to update.

/

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
USB is FAT32, whatever that is. Sounds like me, well maybe not. Anyway, got to go to dealer for latest tailgate recall and then when I get back home I will install the update. Instructions say to leave truck running for 25 minutes. Seem to remember doing that a few years back with another update. This one kind of threw me off since it was trying to do it by itself. Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My '14 updated itself over the weekend. I had a couple of popup messages telling me that there was an update and then on Sunday(?), it gave me the option to "update now" or "schedule".

I set it to install an hour or so after I got home. The next morning I had a popup that told me the new version was installed.

Just walked out and checked, truck shows 18.45.01

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I bought a replacement 8.4 from Infotainment on my SLT back in 2016 to replace the stock 5.0 . Have never updated the radio since and apparently according to UConnect can't because its not the stock radio that is tied to my VIN. UConnect suggested going to dealer. That's a big NO. Never had a problem so will keep on doing what I have been doing; nothing.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I bought a replacement 8.4 from Infotainment on my SLT back in 2016 to replace the stock 5.0 . Have never updated the radio since and apparently according to UConnect can't because its not the stock radio that is tied to my VIN. UConnect suggested going to dealer. That's a big NO. Never had a problem so will keep on doing what I have been doing; nothing.
Do you have Nav? If so it will be screwed up now if you don't update. Same if you are syncing your time to GPS.

You can most certainly update it manually but you will not get the over the air updates

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Nope, no NAV.
Then just your time will be screwed up if you have it set to use GPS time in the settings. You can set it manually and it will still work fine.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I must not have it set to GPS as I only have to adjust the time twice a year at Daylight Savings time. I've followed the conversations on the software updates over the years and have never seen anything that does much on the 8.4. Am I missing out on something ?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I must not have it set to GPS as I only have to adjust the time twice a year at Daylight Savings time. I've followed the conversations on the software updates over the years and have never seen anything that does much on the 8.4. Am I missing out on something ?
If you changed it for daylights savings then you are set to manual mode already. GPS timing would have done it automatically.

Most updates have been security patches and upkeep. No additional features or anything I have noticed. This update corrects the GPS date roll over in the sierra wireless gateway. Kind of like the Y2K thing years ago with computers if you remember that.
So if you have Nav or use the GPS timing it will be screwed up now if you don't update.

https://www.sierrawireless.com/iot-blog/iot-blog/2019/10/gps-rollover/

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got around to installing the update this morning, and everything went fine. Now have my correct GPS time back. Wasn't sure if my usb drive was working as nothing happened when I first put it in. Took it out a couple of times and then I got an error message. So, it seems to take a minute or so to set things up and then it starts updating. I sat in the truck the whole time, I guess you are not supposed to open door or anything. Not sure if this made a difference or not. Took about 30 minutes for the whole process. Thanks for the assistance.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Got around to installing the update this morning, and everything went fine. Now have my correct GPS time back. Wasn't sure if my usb drive was working as nothing happened when I first put it in. Took it out a couple of times and then I got an error message. So, it seems to take a minute or so to set things up and then it starts updating. I sat in the truck the whole time, I guess you are not supposed to open door or anything. Not sure if this made a difference or not. Took about 30 minutes for the whole process. Thanks for the assistance.
Yeah, it's a little finicky recognizing the drive sometimes? I don't think it matters about the door? I started mine and walked away. As long as the key is on it should be fine. Mine actually failed the first time at about 90% complete but on the second attempt it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
not sure if I have posted this already some other place.
on my 2017 the updated failed and message said contact the dealer.
They had to replace the whole radio unit.
Lucky me I am still under warranty.
New radio runs the update at ease.

Mike

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,348 Posts
I got the auto update screen early this morning when I got to work.....Hit the update now button and went to work......afraid to go look at lunchtime....:eek:hno::pray:

Sam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts