Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wat kind of u joints do you guy have in hi power truck? ive gone through about 4 sets in less than a year thanks guys :banghead:

·
AlGores worst nightmare
2,010 Posts
I think I just put Precision (Federal Mogul) in mine, but Spicer should be good too. Whichever ones you've been using, try the other.

·
Registered
256 Posts
wat kind of u joints do you guy have in hi power truck? ive gone through about 4 sets in less than a year thanks guys :banghead:
What would you say you have for power?:confused013:

There could be tons of reasons you are tearing up U-Joints... depending on WHICH ones you are tearing up....

What did you change in the last year or 2?

Chase

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
I have spicers up front on the axle shafts and 'napa premiums' for all of the driveshaft joints.

No problems with durability at all, though the spicer joints for the front look like they are super strong compared to the others.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont have too much done ..370 injectors no plate 4 k gov springs...dont know exact kind just ones from c&m (carquest)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would go with Spicer or FM, and be content. I am putting down more power, and have put down more power on other rigs, with regular joints...

I would say you are having other issues, vibrations, misalignment, etc......

If you are really having a problem, see if there is a Cryo'd CTM u-joint available to fit your system( you will have to crossreference your joint number with CTM)...

Chase

Chase

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
My understanding is greaseable joints are weaker than the "lifetime" lubed ones.
The grease passages make them hollow.
If you're running greaseable ones try non-greaseable.

Four sets is a lot though. Maybe you have a 4:10 rear end and a 3:54 front or vice versa.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nah, that much of a difference in his gearing, the t-case would blow....

The CTM uses a brass bushing, instead of needle bearings....

You dont perhaps have a center carrier bearing do you??? seen those go out, and wreak all kinds of havoc...

Chase

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
havent really looked lol it would make since tho

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Single cab truck wont have the carrier bearing. I am running the factory spicers and I have put 60k on my truck and not touched them and they were on there when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Nah, that much of a difference in his gearing, the t-case would blow....
I have zero experience with running a different axle ratio on the front vs the back but have wondered if the traction was poor enough if the t-case and driver would really notice.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Talk to a driveline shop.
Most all will tell you to run Spicer non-greasables for strength.
My truck had the original Spicers in it at 215k
That's some pretty good service life, that's what went back in.
If I were pulling with alot more power than you have, maybe I'd go with CTM's

KO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts