Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
When I had my 04.5, the u-joint that connects the rear axle to the drive shaft went out. I bought the replacement at the Napa auto parts store with the grease zirk in it. Think i paid around 30 bucks for it and i took the drive shaft with me and they pulled the old one out and put the new one in for me.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
spicer i would say is the best just make sure you can grease them

·
Registered
177 Posts
Spicer and if the place will do it for free great but it is super easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What kind of noise/vibration do you get to know your u-joint is going out? Mine may be as well. I get a vibration/grinding noise in the drivers side floorboard.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
What kind of noise/vibration do you get to know your u-joint is going out? Mine may be as well. I get a vibration/grinding noise in the drivers side floorboard.
yea im curious about that too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
when you go to take off from a stop you will hear a "tink" and if they are bad you will feal int in the floor board it will sound like it was behind you

·
Registered
331 Posts
Or u will get a slight squeaking as u start to roll. the squeak will will get faster as the driveshaft spins faster.

·
Registered
520 Posts
u-joints

I have replaced all JUNK DODGE non-greasable u-joints with NAPA greasable ones. I couldn't believe Dodge would put non-greasable u-joints on a 3/4 ton truck:thud:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
When they start to go it will vibrate to were it gets on your nerves, when you take off and especialy when you are coming to a stop, it will begin to vibrate, i replace mine from good ol kentucky motors!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Sounds like you need new wheel bearings.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I dont think it matters, spicer i would say is the best, JUST MAKE SURE THEY ARE GREASABLE AND GREASE THEM REGULARLY AND THAT WILL PROLONG THEIR LIFE DRASTICALLY

·
Registered
454 Posts
Spicer is probably the best, just make sure they are greaseable, and grease them EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL,

·
Registered
454 Posts
Spicer is probably the best, just make sure they are greaseable, and grease them EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL, AND IT WILL MAKE THEM LAST ALOT LONGER

1 - 20 of 23 Posts