Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

U-connect for cell phones

3163 Views 28 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  abonnett
Can U-connect be added to any truck? If so, how is it accomplished?

Schmidt
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
Im not sure how its done but I was told by the dealer it can be added. My 07.5 did not have it and the service department told me they could install one. My 08 came with it. At first I was using it but it became annoying so I turned it off.

· Registered
748 Posts
interested to know as well..

· Registered
748 Posts
Im not sure how its done but I was told by the dealer it can be added. My 07.5 did not have it and the service department told me they could install one. My 08 came with it. At first I was using it but it became annoying so I turned it off.
how much was the price with installation? why was it annoying? thanks.

· Registered
302 Posts
how much was the price with installation? why was it annoying? thanks.

Thats been about a year and a half ago. I dont remember the price. There were several things. You cant answer your phone private without it answering over the speakers first. Radio would cut off when good songs are on. Sometimes I would rather listen to the song then talk on the phone. When Im at the ranch I would always forget to turn it off. So what would happen is I would be listening to the the radio outside of the truck and the phone would ring, go to answer it and it will pick the call up in the truck, will have to run to truck to talk. Its all little things but after about a month of using it I have not used it since. I forget I even have it.

· Registered
740 Posts
Thats been about a year and a half ago. I dont remember the price. There were several things. You cant answer your phone private without it answering over the speakers first. Radio would cut off when good songs are on. Sometimes I would rather listen to the song then talk on the phone. When Im at the ranch I would always forget to turn it off. So what would happen is I would be listening to the the radio outside of the truck and the phone would ring, go to answer it and it will pick the call up in the truck, will have to run to truck to talk. Its all little things but after about a month of using it I have not used it since. I forget I even have it.
Personally now that I have it I will never get rid of it!!! :headbang::headbang: It is great to be going down highway with it you can drive and drink coffee/slurpee and not have to have something hanging from your ear!! Yeah it is funny when u have to run to truck to talk on system because truck picked up call!! But all in all voice recognition works good , couple of times it didnt work properly but if you speak clearly it works good!! :party018:

· Registered
302 Posts
Personally now that I have it I will never get rid of it!!! :headbang::headbang: It is great to be going down highway with it you can drive and drink coffee/slurpee and not have to have something hanging from your ear!! Yeah it is funny when u have to run to truck to talk on system because truck picked up call!! But all in all voice recognition works good , couple of times it didnt work properly but if you speak clearly it works good!! :party018:
I cant comment on voice recognition, never tried it.

· Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Price

What does it cost?????????????????:banghead:

· CO President
2,621 Posts
Dodge sells the kit to use. It is not the rear view morror mounted one, but has a little controller to mount somewhere. I think it was like 200 bucks when I looked at it.

· Premium Member
1,058 Posts
U connect is Awesome! I have it and it came from the factory
Mopar offers kits for this but it's not the same as the factory setup
I can only comment on the factory setup and the voice recognition is fantastic
I can speak to people while driving with my kid blabbing away and they hear him clearly from the back seat of a MC that in itself is great. yeah he complains when a call comes in and he cannot hear his show but on my iphone I can choose where to send the call to if I am making outgoing calls, I think the Mopar kits are about 300.00-350.00

· Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Install

Does anyone know what needs to be done to install it?

Schmidt

· Registered
504 Posts
Make sure that what you add works with your cell phone. Presently some cell phones, including iPhones will not work properly in Mopar vehicles.

· Registered
58 Posts
iPhone (version 2.2) work fine in my truck with UConnect.

· Registered
195 Posts
My iPhone works with the uconnect- some minor glitches. Can't hear voicemail on uconnect- must switch to 'iphone' setting on Bluetooth icon option

When outside the truck but still connected- have to choose 'iphone' in bluetooth option, or simply shut bluetooth off temporarily

I am told by many people that the connection is not good for them- they say it sounds like I am very far away and cannot hear me. Not sure if it's the iPhone itself (need to try connecting another bluetooth phone to compare) or if it's my uconnect system. I read some were not goodand had to be replaced

· Registered
24 Posts
if you still have the factory installed radio I am sure it is very simple to install via a harness that just plugs into the back of the radio, you mount the microphone and you are off and talking!! no cutting, slicing, drilling or otherwise.

· Registered
7 Posts
I love my bluetooth. Its only annoying when my truck is warming up in the winter and people call and talk to my interior and im inside drinking coffee. I can't imagine the install is too tough. with all the factory wiring harnesses, mirror, and factory radio setup. I am not a car radio stereo guy but someone must make an aftermarket deck with bluetooth

· Registered
1,111 Posts
I like mine that came factory in my truck. I have the iPhone too, and have no complaints.

· Registered
102 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.