Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and the dually world. Got a 19 3500 dually and I recent added a 4in bds lift with some 20in ddc wheels and some falkens 37x12.50x20. Issue I'm having is that my inner back driver side tire rubs on the u bolt plate and is about 1/2in away from leaf spring and the back inner tire passenger side the u bolt plate and leaf spring is about 1in away from tire. Have any of you had this issue before? Trying figure it out and it's been hard. I'll post pictures so you guys could see. Any info would help fellas
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Hood Water Vehicle door Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Which wheels are you running? Regardless, the 37x12.5 are too wide for your current setup. Going to need spacers or new wheels.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm running ddc wheels. On their website it says for 37x12.5x20
What is the wheel width and offset or whatever the measurement is called on dually wheels? Just because the tires fit on the wheels doesn't translate to the wheels fitting on the truck? How close together are the tires on each side?

If you're having that issue in the rear, how bad to the front tires rub the control arms? Is the hub adapter enough to keep them from rubbing?

·
Super Moderator
23,798 Posts
Cut some off the plate to get it away from your tire. Do you have overload springs on top of your spring pack?

·
Super Moderator
23,798 Posts
Yes I do have the overload springs. Even in the middle of the tires I'm about 1/4 in away from each other.
You have air bags take the overloads off and problem solved.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the wheel width and offset or whatever the measurement is called on dually wheels? Just because the tires fit on the wheels doesn't translate to the wheels fitting on the truck? How close together are the tires on each side?

If you're having that issue in the rear, how bad to the front tires rub the control arms? Is the hub adapter enough to keep them from rubbing?
So wheels are 20x8.5 and even in website and I called they Said I could run 12.5 on them. The gap in between tires is about 1/4in away from each other. Front tires barely rub on control arms.

·
Super Moderator
23,798 Posts
So wheels are 20x8.5 and even in website and I called they Said I could run 12.5 on them. The gap in between tires is about 1/4in away from each other. Front tires barely rub on control arms.
You'll have to put a spacer between the wheels to widen the gap if you really want to use that big of a tire.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thought about that. What do you think about gap in between tires only being about 1/4in away from each other.
I think that's too close. How much will they expand at the bottom when under load? I'd bet they will rub together and that poses a pretty high safety risk over time. The friction, resulting heat and stress will fatigue the sidewalls. Also think of the stuff you can get jammed in the gap. I think the normal gap on OEM setups is enough to prevent rocks and stuff like 3/4- rock and gravel from getting stuck in there.

Reactions: krs

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I'm running ddc wheels. On their website it says for 37x12.5x20
I'm not saying the tire is too wide for the wheel, I'm saying the tire is too wide for the spacing of the wheel on your particular setup.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that's too close. How much will they expand at the bottom when under load? I'd bet they will rub together and that poses a pretty high safety risk over time. The friction, resulting heat and stress will fatigue the sidewalls. Also think of the stuff you can get jammed in the gap. I think the normal gap on OEM setups is enough to prevent rocks and stuff like 3/4- rock and gravel from getting stuck in there.
When I load up my 25ft toy hauler the threads barely touch on the bottom. The thread only not the side wall of tires

·
Registered
320 Posts
The real mistake here was lifting a dually. They are supposed to be grunt trucks meant for nothing but being loaded. I understand the appeal of a lifted truck, however I just don't see that with a DRW. My opinion of course.

I would take the advice from the others here and look around for spacers. I would agree that 1/4" is not large enough of a gap for me to be comfortable with. If you don't want to do that, then at the very least, you should consider different wheels.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
When I load up my 25ft toy hauler the threads barely touch on the bottom. The thread only not the side wall of tires
Pretty much any 25' toy hauler is 1500 towable. What's the tongue weight? Can't be much more than 500 lbs. I'm talking about putting 12-15k on the back of it. Dump trailer, goose neck, 5th wheel. You know, the stuff duallys are made for.

Regardless of what you tow, if at all, 1/4" gap between the duals is pretty tight and should be opened up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pretty much any 25' toy hauler is 1500 towable. What's the tongue weight? Can't be much more than 500 lbs. I'm talking about putting 12-15k on the back of it. Dump trailer, goose neck, 5th wheel. You know, the stuff duallys are made for.

Regardless of what you tow, if at all, 1/4" gap between the duals is pretty tight and should be opened up.
Tongue weight on trailer is 1100lbs. Going fifthwheel after.

·
Registered
21,018 Posts
I have to ask: Why the air springs if you're not really using any of the payload anyway?
(I won't even question why you got a DRW)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes I do have the overload springs. Even in the middle of the tires I'm about 1/4 in away from each other.
You are going to blow your tires up and take the box side with you if you load the truck heavy enough for the tires to touch each other there should be a MINIMUM of 1” between the tires….. i would be putting a 3/8 spacer against the hub for the inner tire clearance and 1-1/2” spacer in between the 2 wheels…. There is a reason duallys come with narrow tires…

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are going to blow your tires up and take the box side with you if you load the truck heavy enough for the tires to touch each other there should be a MINIMUM of 1” between the tires….. i would be putting a 3/8 spacer against the hub for the inner tire clearance and 1-1/2” spacer in between the 2 wheels…. There is a reason duallys come with narrow tires…
What spacers do you recommend for between the tires

1 - 20 of 49 Posts