Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the REVO intructions, it list the following under injection timing See option#4 below:

"Injection Timing:
# 0 - Default
# 1 - Stock
# 2 - for stock injectors
# 3 - for aftermarket Injectors ( less timing advance than # 2 )
# 4 - for fuel economy ( more timing advance than level # 2 )"

Option# 4 is listed for "fuel economy", I thought this was the wild setting, only to be used for aftermarket turbo/injectors?

However, if you look in the new Smarty S06 manual, on pg 17, it list the following under injection timing:

"Injection Timing
The Timing selection can be programmed 1 (stock), 2 (advanced), 3 (moderate) or 4 (wild)."

Which is correct? Can the #4 injection timing setting be safely used on a stock truck with stock tranny? I have a modified fuel system, no problem there.

Thanks for info ahead of time, guys!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
the wording is correct. stock injector has more timing than aftermarket injectors.

do you have gauges installed ?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only gauge I have is a fuel gauge. I am a very conservative driver, do not put my foot down, other than when passing. Up to this point I have been running Smarty sw v4.11, SW#9, mild torque management. Runs great, I really like the sensitive throttle response. Tranny doing fine, shifts are positive, no slipping. However, I realize that it would be very easy too toast the tranny, so I drive very conservative.

But, why does the REVO instruction state for "fuel economy", yet the S06 manual says "Wild". In my mind, one leads you to believe you can run this setting in a stock truck yet the other statement seems to contradict this.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
the s06 manual was printed prior to the revolution release.

you can always use the default softwares

·
Registered
15 Posts
stick with 2 unless you want(need) more timing

in most cases advanced timing will produce lowest egts and improved fuel economy
Is it safe with stock injectors to run a high CATCHER SW like SW7 or SW9 and set timing to 4? At what point is too much timing a bad thing? When you get rattle?

-Chris

·
Registered
568 Posts
i been running sw3, tq 3 and timing 4 trying to get better mpg truck runs great

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine runs great on Catcher# 9. I have been running v4.11, Catcher# 9/torgue mild, for two weeks now, no problems. However, I do not race, daily driver., fairly conservative driving. I switched to REVO v4.14 over the weekend, using catcher# 9, with default settings, did not modified the option settings. In my truck, this feels exactly the same as the v4.11, catcher# 9, torque mild. I am very pleased with the performance of the REVO software.

Also, my main objective is to have solid street performance for daily driving, knowing the reserve power is there when needed, and getting the most mpg as possible.

I am interested in whether it would be a good idea to go timing# 4, to improve mpg even more. But I am also concerned about the possible damage that could be dome running this much timing.

Anybody else running the following Smarty REVO tune on a truck with stock turbo, injectors, but modified fuel system? I am running the GDP Fuel Boss fuel system.

Catcher# - 9
Torque Mgmt - Mild
Injector Timing - 4
Rail Pres - 3
Wastegate - 0

·
Registered
450 Posts
I believe too much timing when towing is not a good idea.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I just switched over from the TNT to the REVO since I'll be towing next week. Set to level 5, TM 2, Timing 4 and RP 2. Personally I don't feel the timing is that high to pose any problems for towing.

MikeyB

·
Registered
55 Posts
Set mine on #9, rp-2, wild torque, and timing on 2. When i put timing on #4 it seems to have a little more git up and go:peelout

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
When your EGT's drop, the pistons absorb more heat, so be carefull, where short bursts to 1350 were ok, you might burn the motor down at 1250 now.. Just watch your water temp more careful.

Merrick

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
When your EGT's drop, the pistons absorb more heat, so be carefull, where short bursts to 1350 were ok, you might burn the motor down at 1250 now.. Just watch your water temp more careful.

Merrick
True, and the HO and 600 CR's has piston cooling jets to help shed off the heat. But then I still feel the timing is in the safe area. Have to remember the CR's are heavily retarded in the timing for emission reasons.

MikeyB

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
True, and the HO and 600 CR's has piston cooling jets to help shed off the heat. But then I still feel the timing is in the safe area. Have to remember the CR's are heavily retarded in the timing for emission reasons.

MikeyB
Very true as well. Might want to watch teh oil temps too.

Also, I know the cam is retarded 8* compared to the ISB, strictly for emissions.

Merrick

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I just switched over from the TNT to the REVO since I'll be towing next week. Set to level 5, TM 2, Timing 4 and RP 2. Personally I don't feel the timing is that high to pose any problems for towing.

MikeyB
The timing on the REVO TNT tune is not the same as the standard REVO. #4 is very reduced timing for Nitrous users. I would think you might run the risk of high EGT's on #4 on the TNT and a loss of performance compared to #2 or #3.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The timing on the REVO TNT tune is not the same as the standard REVO. #4 is very reduced timing for Nitrous users. I would think you might run the risk of high EGT's on #4 on the TNT and a loss of performance compared to #2 or #3.
Yes, I know. The settings I posted is only for the REVO.
For the TNT I used timing #2.

MikeyB

1 - 20 of 20 Posts