Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend owns a marina and diesel on the docks there is 2.51 a gallon about 30cents cheaper than at the hess station. my question Is there any difference between fuel at the docks and fuel at the station. Also if there is a difference could i still run it in my truck. Thanks chase

· Registered
3,126 Posts
im guessing some difference in taxing just like farm fuel

· Diesel Filled Veins!
5,772 Posts
Depends on what the penalties are for running red. I know in some places the fines are steep, other places more of a "cost of running red" type of fine if you ever got caught. I've never been through a road check that actually checked for offroad fuel so I'd do it.

· Registered
217 Posts
Off road or marina fuel is colored and sometimes with have a little bit higher sulfur content but again really the dif is taxes on it and no matter where fines are steep for that stuff

· Registered
178 Posts
I know here in the state of Nebraska is about 700 bucks for the first offense. A guy I know that farms was running it from his external tank and just filling it in the field with off road. Needless to say he doesn't use it anymore..... except Ag equip

· Registered
72 Posts
staying kind of on subject (sorry if i steal this) i have quite a large tank of red diesel my dad used for our tractor. is ag deisel ok to run and does it go bad like regular gas?

· On call 24/7
13,753 Posts
It is the same as road diesel except with a red die so the popo can ticket you. I would not run diesel from a tank thats been setting awhile or that doesnt move alot of diesel. Now if its free then put some diesel kleen in with it and dont get caught.

· Registered
72 Posts
technicaly its free since its sitting in my tank and how can they tell im running it?

· On call 24/7
13,753 Posts
They can stick a tester in your tank and can tell. I know they get alot of people where I come from at the livestock sale barn.

574 Posts
technicaly its free since its sitting in my tank and how can they tell im running it?
Yeah down here around Houston, I seriously have never seen a DPS officer pull over a pickup truck randomly and start checking his fuel tank for red diesel. ? I am sure it has happened, but I don't see how they can just randomly pull you over. I am sure they do go check tanks at livestock sales and horse shows, but what if you had a locking gas cap? And you left the keys to it at home? I mean really.. They gonna get a locksmith out there?

· Registered
5,245 Posts
my friend owns a marina and diesel on the docks there is 2.51 a gallon about 30cents cheaper than at the hess station. my question Is there any difference between fuel at the docks and fuel at the station. Also if there is a difference could i still run it in my truck. Thanks chase
In New Jersey Marine Diesel is LSD 500ppm, but its red dyed, if you could figure out how to remove the dye then go for it, your truck will love you for it.

I have found that there are a few gas stations that still have LSD, but its cheaper the just dump 2 stoke oil in the tank.

Don't forget that if you do get sticked and you come up red, prepare to drop 10,000 dollars to the government. Or its 1,000.00 dollars plus 100 per gallon i can't remember.

But ive hauled boats in jersey for several years and have driven right by the mobile inspection sets ups on the Parkway and expressway and haven't been stopped, but then again i run black diesel:hehe:

· Registered
5,245 Posts
Yeah down here around Houston, I seriously have never seen a DPS officer pull over a pickup truck randomly and start checking his fuel tank for red diesel. ? I am sure it has happened, but I don't see how they can just randomly pull you over. I am sure they do go check tanks at livestock sales and horse shows, but what if you had a locking gas cap? And you left the keys to it at home? I mean really.. They gonna get a locksmith out there?
They are after the companies, like tractor trailers, big rigs, and diesel powered pickups that have LLC's, INC, eti written all over them.

· Registered
73 Posts
It is the same and will not hurt your truck. I ran about 200 gallons when I emptied my fuel oil tank in my basement to switch the furnace to gas. It is red and it is illegal thats why its red. Unless you are pulling with a DOT number hot shotting I have never heard or seen DOT spot checking pickups, not to say other states don't but PA seems lax on it.

· Registered
219 Posts
lol hahahaha.... they Run almost a litmus paper tester that they lay over your exhaust, If that comes back with a positive hit, you then have the chance to argue it.

If you do.

They then will dip your tank, Oh wait you left the locking gas cap keys at home,:hehe: Good open your hood I am going to Spin your filter off and have a look in there:shock:. If it comes back Red, Big Fine. I have never seen a Check station however they do it. State lines, Big Ag areas, Oilfields, any place they think they can get a hit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.