Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
For what you've spent on fan clutches, fans and radiators, not to mention time, you could have upgraded to an Icebox or perhaps the Summit three row long ago. I will be surprised beyond description if this new one is any better than the one you have. In the mean time I am pulling the Cascade mountains in mid 90s temps, with the AC on pulling a 11,000 pound trailer. Tomorrow I cross the Rockies.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
My new radiator showed up today, looks kinda chintzy, Lol. The cores appear to be about 3/4" wide x 2 about 1.75" thick total core. It does have 50 rows of cores, I counted them. The tanks have room for at least one more core. My Spectra is 2" total with 44 rows, cores about 1" wide x 2.
I'd be curious what one holds more fluid...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Uh.......no. When my original 3 row started leaking I bought an OEM replacement. Dodge had changed to a 2 row radiator, which was also a different metal composite. It did not cool even as close to well that the 3 row did. I tried an internet aluminum 2 row. It wasn't any better. I bought an Ice box 4 row. I don't have any issues now with cooling with the heaviest of trailers, in any environment or in the mountains. I put it to the test yesterday on Hwy 97C between Kelowna and Merritt, B.C pulling an 8000 pound TT. That highway is 20+ miles of 7 to 8% climb. With the AC on, 80f outside temp I never exceeded 190 at 50 mph. Your theory doesn't hold water.
Or coolant??????????????

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I'd be curious what one holds more fluid...
If I am careful and don't spill any I should get a close idea. The overflow is on the full mark now. I changed/flushed the coolant about a year ago so I will be saving it for re-use.

Gary, I am a slow learner but at least I know what don't work:)

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
This tech brief is what swayed me, I am easy:)
The chart in the tech brief you posted is a little misleading.Notice how the standard core and thin core rad lines merge closer as ariflow goes up. They probably stopped the graph there because as airflow went up, the standard rad was better. And they're measuring airflow in SFPM (which is a velocity measurement), to get that to CFM you'd need to divide it by the cross sectional area of flow.
Bottom line this graph shows that the thin rad only works better in very low airflow conditions. How it performs comparied to a standard rad in more realistic airflow regions is not shown.

Reactions: NIsaacs

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
How it performs comparied to a standard rad in more realistic airflow regions is not shown
As in, when the fan clutch engages?

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I had two good pulls today, 85* ambient and hit 199* on both hills. They are usually 210-215 @ 85*. No AC on. 1st one is from a stop, then accelerate to 60 in 5th, about 2 miles of 3-5%. Second one is a slow interchange in 3rd then accelerate to 4th and hold at 43 mph, 25 psi boost, all 6% from the intersection, for a mile.

I am stoked! Waiting for a 90-100* test with AC on and 30-32 psi boost. A mile long, 5th gear 6% grade, will hit 220+ everyday.

The test is always with 6 ton loads or 26K gcw.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts