Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First question:This is my first Cummins and it is totally stock right now with the AX flash. Periodically I will take it out and run WOT from a dead start up to 90 MPH or so just to blow it out, etc. My first question is, as the RPM approaches 2600-2700 in each gear, you hear what sounds like a "pinging" or timing advance knock (in a gas engine). It stays until the tranny shifts at 3000 RPM, the noise doesn't start again until the RPM gets back up to 2600 RPM. Is this normal or an indication that something needs to be looked at? Truck seems to run fine otherwise.

Second Question: I am driving up the ALCAN hwy this June to Fairbanks, AK. Do you get gouged on diesel prices compared to what you pay elsewhere? I figure diesel is going to be $4.50 per gallon in the US by then and just wondering what I can expect to pay in US dollars along the ALCAN?

·
Registered
691 Posts
1st ? quite normal as it is defueling.
2nd? I don't think it matters as we are getting screwed anywhere.
I suggest load up a 100 gallon bed tank wth the cheapest you can find.

·
Registered
305 Posts
First question:This is my first Cummins and it is totally stock right now with the AX flash. Periodically I will take it out and run WOT from a dead start up to 90 MPH or so just to blow it out, etc. My first question is, as the RPM approaches 2600-2700 in each gear, you hear what sounds like a "pinging" or timing advance knock (in a gas engine). It stays until the tranny shifts at 3000 RPM, the noise doesn't start again until the RPM gets back up to 2600 RPM. Is this normal or an indication that something needs to be looked at? Truck seems to run fine otherwise.

Second Question: I am driving up the ALCAN hwy this June to Fairbanks, AK. Do you get gouged on diesel prices compared to what you pay elsewhere? I figure diesel is going to be $4.50 per gallon in the US by then and just wondering what I can expect to pay in US dollars along the ALCAN?
I'm making the drive down in June, and have already done it twice before. I have started looking at the prices. Right now it's around $4.90 a gallon through most of canada, but once you get into the YT the prices jump quite a bit.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a slide-in camper so no space available in the bed but I already have a 65 gallon fuel tank that replaced the stock unit. Problem is, no matter how big your fuel tank is, Alaska is a long haul and you will refuel many times.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should budget for an average of 50 cents a gallon more than avg price in the US or $1 more, etc.

·
Registered
461 Posts
At lease a dollar a gallon more to be on the safe side. I am already seeing
$4.32 a gallon in the local area and WA is more.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Boy that hunting trip to saskatchewan will be real cheap this year :thud::thud::thud:

It was not as bad when the exchange rate was in our favor. I have not checked since the last trip up there in september last year but you need to remember that as well. Their dollar is worth more probly making it suck even worse for us.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Never mind, just got curious and checked but its $1 US dollar to .98 CA dollar. Might just keep an eye on it though. I doubt it will bad enough to worry about it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1st ? quite normal as it is defueling.
Why would it be defueling at that point? Or is it running out of fuel and I need to do something to boost fuel pressure or add a module?

·
Registered
72 Posts
If your trucks have pilot injection it could be the pilot inj kicking out at the higher rpms due to the demand for power. Just something I heard on the internet ...so it must be true

1 - 9 of 9 Posts