Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm new to diesels, so sorry in advance for a stupid question.

I purchased my 2005 with a rod hanging out the side and tons of deferred maintenance. Replaced with a reman long block, rebuilt injectors, turbo, and a ton of other stuff. I've finally gotten it on the road. It runs good, no smoke, etc. My question is about startup. I hit the key and within a revolution or two, it starts to catch. It doesn't really spring to life, it kind of rolls into it. Within +/-2 seconds of the key turn, it is idling smoothly at 750 rpm. The batteries are brand new and it spins over pretty strong. Note that is starts like this whether it is 30 degrees and the grid heater is working or today at 80 degrees when it isn't calling for the heater. My question is should it "spring" to life like a gas motor or is it pretty normal for it to just kinda roll into the idle. I know this is hard to explain and probably even harder to say if this is normal or not.

My second question is about the ABS and brake light. I've worked through god knows how many engine/SEL codes. Without any consistency, I'll get a ding and the brake/ABS lights comes on. I can pull to the side of the road, turn it off and restart. The lights will still be on until I put it in gear and start to drive away. Then, both lights will go out and stay out for anywhere from 5 to 50 miles. Based on the forum chatter it seems like a good place to start is replacing the sensor on the rear diff. Do you agree?

I've been lurking for months. Thanks to the forum for helping me work through dozens of other issues. I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Everything is heavy, crank/ rod/ pistons then factor 17 to 1 compression not going to start like gasser, less 5 second start, no smoke sounds normal.
ABS to avoid throwing parts at issue, should check for codes, they can show in cluster (EMIC) test, but might need DRBIII reader to show all faults. If speedo is good i doubt rear speed sensor issue.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Are you talking about how a gasser kind of roars up past idle rpm for a moment then settles down? It won't do that, mine starts right to 750rpm.

Reactions: tryNto

·
Trying to learn
5,636 Posts
A +/- 2-second start is ideal and like said it will go straight to idle speed of 750, sometimes when real cold out it will start at 1k rpm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update. I was able to get an ABS scan tool and it came back with a code of 35. The problem is rather intermittent. I’ll check the wiring one more time but I’m inclined to just spend the 40 bucks and try a new sensor. Does anyone disagree?

Also I have another problem. When I slightly lug the engine, as in pulling away from a stop - if the RPMs drop below say 400 or 500 RPM, I get a check engine light that points me to the crankshaft position sensor. Other than that I have no problems. Any thoughts on what would cause that when it gets below for 500 RPM?

Last question. I need to get a new tailgate. Are any of the aftermarket tailgates better than the others or are they all junk?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Why would you lug it that low?

I got one off Amazon that was preprimed, painted it with rattle can and it turned out pretty decent and I have the dark sparkly blue. A flat color would be easier. I need to buff and clear it with a better clear though. Been almost 2 years now and 2 winters in the salt belt and no issues.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I like the price of that one on Amazon. Around here, I can't even get a decent used one for $150.

Not lugging it that low on purpose. Just one of those occasional things when pulling away when stopped uphill or with a trailer, etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There was a couple of posts about checking the torque on injector lines. I checked mine, found a couple very slightly loose, my truck seems to start quicker now. Easy to check, might be worth a try

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Quick update. I was able to get an ABS scan tool and it came back with a code of 35. The problem is rather intermittent. I’ll check the wiring one more time but I’m inclined to just spend the 40 bucks and try a new sensor. Does anyone disagree?

Also I have another problem. When I slightly lug the engine, as in pulling away from a stop - if the RPMs drop below say 400 or 500 RPM, I get a check engine light that points me to the crankshaft position sensor. Other than that I have no problems. Any thoughts on what would cause that when it gets below for 500 RPM?

Last question. I need to get a new tailgate. Are any of the aftermarket tailgates better than the others or are they all junk?

thanks.
check wires by abs module driver side firewall and check rear diff connections and tone ring.
Should never go that low in RPMs can damage valve train.
Can try car-parts.com for real oem tailgate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts