Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide which way to go. I am in the process of rebuilding my motor. The machine shop is nearly done. And I am about to put things back together. I would like a turbo upgrade. I intend to use fbd 150hp injectors.

I own a roofing company and I use my truck for work as well as play. It is not uncommon for me to be loaded to my max gcvw or more. I live in Montana in a relatively mountainous location, with an elevation of 4800 feet at my driveway. Thats just for background info.

Im toying with two ideas. I cant afford to fight egts all the time. And some inclines are 5-9% in our area. But, one idea is to install the he351 with the fleece controller. Should be a little more air, and give me the fleixibility of an exhaust brake.

The other idea is to run twins. Im leaning this way. I would like useable power and lower egts. I also dont want to be gettin 8mpg empty. So any info on any of this would be great. thanks

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
given your loaded to the max statement and you want flexibility i would say the he351 is the better choice. you could also utilize the he351 in a twin setup. or atleast thats my perception based on some older threads.

·
Bleed All American!
1,154 Posts
I think you have already made the right choice. ;) lol don't think you could ever go wrong with twins. I'm builing some right now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If i go with twins? What type of egts are expected? Whats a good towing set up? And what kind of mileage?

Also if I use the he351 with a twin setup, I was under the impression I couldnt use it as an exhaust brake though. And that was the only reason I was considering it.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
vote for the vgt, just because it's different. Plus more engine bay room.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Twins for sure!!! WAY more usable room in the engine compartment!!! Hx35 over an s472 with a set of 150s would be a scary fast spooling twin setup and still still keep decent mileage!! The size of injectors will dictate your mileage more than the twins. Bigger the injectors the worse the mileage is a rule of thumb.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you do twins you can still run an exhaust brake. Instead of one that mounts off of the back of the turbo, you will want an "in-line" mounted exhaust brake. PacBrake makes one.

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,153 Posts
The HE351 is the one that came off the 04.5-07's and the HE351VE came off the 07.5+ my vote is twins. The VGT turbo is nice but it won't flow the air of twins which help lower EGTs. You can go with HE351 over an S471 and have super fast spool along with well than enough air from the primary to cool. About your choice of injectors as you said FBD150's from what I read they are kinda dirty but cheap. Look into CPP 150's they aren't much higher and guys have had great results with cleaner flowing injectors. There are so many choices in what you can do with compounds but if I was to throw a set on my '99 that's what I'd do..

Reactions: cummins724

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,153 Posts
The HE351 is the one that came off the 04.5-07's and the HE351VE came off the 07.5+ my vote is twins. The VGT turbo is nice but it won't flow the air of twins which help lower EGTs. You can go with HE351 over an S471 and have super fast spool along with well than enough air from the primary to cool. About your choice of injectors as you said FBD150's from what I read they are kinda dirty but cheap. Look into CPP 150's they aren't much higher and guys have had great results with cleaner flowing injectors. There are so many choices in what you can do with compounds but if I was to throw a set on my '99 that's what I'd do..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts