Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing my BD Towing Twins over the weekend and now I have some questions. You guys that are running twins what are your EGT's like and what is your boost set at (max PSI)? I havent adjusted mine yet and the most I have seen out of them is 42psi or so. Cruising down the highway I see around 650-750*. And if I lay into the throttle it will eventually get just as hot as it did with the stocker installed just not as quick. If I turn the boost up to 55-60psi would that help with the EGT's? I plan on getting a new intercooler as soon as I can afford it. Let me know how you guys with twins have it setup.

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
Turn it up, your egts will drop as well at WOT. I ran the tow twins at 60+.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah i would say crank them up too 55-60 psi...this will lower your top end egt's...then as soon as you get the intercoller installed you will see lower cruise egt's and lower topend...

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,567 Posts
how much does a twin set up like that run with install and everything ?
im assuming you have to upgrate the entire fuel delivery system as well ?
what else is involved with putting twins on ?

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
The BD Twins come with everything needed for the install. The tow twins run around the $4000.00 mark. The install is pretty straight forward, it'll take a few hours. And yep, a little fuel really helps. :thumbsup

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Some more fuel will help the cause spinning those hair driers. From what I hear the BD set up is a nice starter set of twins that can grow and adapt to your needs.:thumbsup

·
Registered
43 Posts
Shorten your waste gate adjustment rod all the way, so the waste gate doesn't open. The twins are efficient to run at 60-65 PSI.The highest i have seen on my set up is 68 PSI. This is with full fueling w/water meth-no nitrous.
We have a dyno and we doa lot of runs and every time we make changes we dyno the rig. I would reccommend studding the head. I tow a 40' / 18.000#
fifth wheel and keeping the waste gate closed will keep the EGT's under controll.
Hope this helps.
Matt
APT Diesel performance.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the replies I appreciate the feedback. I will turn them up and report back. BBRam, does the edge ez help quite a bit? Know anyone selling one cheap?

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have a related question...what is the highest safe boost level to run with twins before doing o-rings?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
on the cr trucks very few have o-ringed the head .the mls gasket is really a nice gasket if you have a straight head and block

·
Registered
915 Posts
The BD tow twins comes with the wastegate set close to 45psi. I ran mine at 60psi with some egt issues but better than when it was at 45psi. So shorten the gate and it will help alot and they will run better. Also when you add an intercooler you will see at least 100-200 egt drop. They are a really nice set up and I loved mine, but let me share something, the R-700 upgrade to the s-400 really really is the way to go. Tows the same, spools so close to the tows, runs cooler by alot and has the smoothest acceleration and a CRAZY top end. Either way BD twins are the BOMB.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Ooops, didn't see that you had an intercooler. Thats good. The only problem I had with the tows was the WOT egts. Shorten the gate and it will help. Since WOT burst last a few seconds you will be fine. Water/meth will help cool you down during WOT and pulling grades. I dynoed 565hp with the tows with the 90 ddp's but thats pretty much the limit for the tow twins. Went to the BD R-700 upgrade and it went to 649hp. The tows work best at 450-550hp, you maybe over that and should have gone to the upgrade. Either way good choice and you will love them

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ooops, didn't see that you had an intercooler. Thats good. The only problem I had with the tows was the WOT egts. Shorten the gate and it will help. Since WOT burst last a few seconds you will be fine. Water/meth will help cool you down during WOT and pulling grades. I dynoed 565hp with the tows with the 90 ddp's but thats pretty much the limit for the tow twins. Went to the BD R-700 upgrade and it went to 649hp. The tows work best at 450-550hp, you maybe over that and should have gone to the upgrade. Either way good choice and you will love them
Would love to upgrade but I am a little tight on :$: That upgrade kit is expensive for just the one turbo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts