Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Getting ready to build a twins set up, the ht3b and modified hx35. My first question is how to support the weight? I have seen many guys not running any support other than the manifold for the twins set up. Is that ok? I cant see how that much weight on a manifold could be good.

Second question is head bolts. I plan on putting in new head bolts and torquing them past stock specs. I'd like to know what to torque them to and what boost levels can I run safely on the stock head. All input is much appreciated guys. Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
wqhen you buy head studs from ARP they will give you torque specs with the studs...

as far as support, all consumer bought twin kits come with support brackets! i would say you should have some support

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I mean factory head bolts. Not studs. I bought a brand new set I plan to torque past factory specs. The common number I hear is 125 ft. pounds. Is this the limit? And what boost levels can I run safely? I was hoping to run 50 or 55 as a daily driver.

Ok are there any venders who sell individual brackets?? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have the same ? as well as with 16* of timing.

·
Registered
801 Posts
make sure your head is seated first. Then 55lbs is no problem with just headbolts. I ran 65 for a few months with stock stretched headbolts @125 ft/lbs that had 250k miles on them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here is a halfarsed drawing of a spacer i made for twins run the braces down to a bracket on the oil pan rail ... The spacer will also let your waste gate work better..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well that didnt work how the heck do you post pic on here??

·
Sasquatch
3,694 Posts
Riesenbr549, to post a picture you need to use an image hosting site like photobucket or picoodle and upload your image there, then you use the insert image button when making a post and paste a direct link to the image.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I just picked up a mount and a spacer for the turbo. The input and the source automotive link was a great help. One more question about coating the manifold and exhaust manifolds. High heat paint will not do the job? If not Ill have it all coated I just hate to do it because the nearest shop is 3 hours away and takes 2 weeks to finish the parts.:doh:

As for the head bolts Im still going to put new bolts in and set somewhere between 50 and 60. Im alittle confused when you guys say heat torque though.. Do you put the fuel lines and everything back together to start the truck a few times?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
you could get header paint im gonna be doing mine and then turbo exhaust housing, i belive a company called VHT makes a flame proof ceramic paint coating, i just bought some from summit racing...says good between 1500-2000 degrees and if your getting any hotter than that you need more air, :lol4: it also comes in a few different colors as well, this weekend im rebuilding my turbo, glass beading the whole thing and taking off the manifold glass beading that and painting with that VHT paint:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts