Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking for a set of nice twins. I like your setup, but I find out that you offer a racing set as well. Now being a 2nd Gen owner I was upset that this upgrade wasnt offered for our kit. So my question is....Can I just purchase and peice together a "racing kit" with you guys using that R700? I use my truck as a daily driver and track on some weekends. No towing or sled pulling.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Like you said Gus, it is possible but we do not offer the kit yet because as it sits now it is not a bolt in kit.... "yet"

I have been working with your customer on his 01 R700 install and the feedback he is giving me in instrumental in helping us make the changes needed to release the 2nd gen R700 kit. :thumbsup

·
Registered
78 Posts
let's see I did this way back in '01---used an aftermarket tranny cooler with a fan(be careful as my fan stuck on once and drained the batteries)---

also on the lower front passenger side of the motor is a water fitting that I changed out to one that comes with the manual tranny trucks---auto trucks have two outlets on that fitting while manual trucks only have one---

had to rework the heater hoses--

other than making sure you have a good bottom support for the big turbo it's not to bad of a job to do if you take your time and it helps to have someone to give you a hand--trust me on this

oh yea I replaced my stock passenger side battery with an OPTIMA--cut some of the battery tray--not sure you will need to do that, but there weren't any kits really when I did mine----

you can certainly go elsewhere and get a kit that's made for your truck ready to go---this is no diss on BD as many like their twin product, but there are other options out there----chris

·
Registered
78 Posts
on the tranny cooler(auto) you have two options---buy the fittings that will work with the OEM fittings at the removed cooler and run hoses to the new aftermarket cooler(I installed my cooler up under the bed on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel--lot's of space--I used two flat bars and attached them top and bottom and then attached the cooler to these bars)---I would attach the new lines to the existing lines first---mount turbos, except for downpipe, then see how to route those lines to clear the downpipe and then install down pipe---I ran my lines in the frame---there's a big hole in the frame up by the rear of the motor that I passed them through and ran them back to the aftermarket cooler---

other option is to cut the tranny lines and use compression fittings for the new hose to OEM tranny lines---this eases access to the lines if you need to work on the tranny---chris

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
I agree their are many kits available out there but you need to be careful what advice you are getting or unintentionally someone could guide you down the wrong path, what you need to remember is... what works on one truck may not on another. Turbos that are not properly engineered or have not been set up for your application may result in poor performance, surge issues and have you fabricating your own parts.

With our single and twins kits they are designed with this in mind and have very broad efficiency ranges to take the guess work out of it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dave has spoken words of wisdom----

but most kits use your stock turbo along with the HT3B--it's a proven combo---is it perfect--no, but it works and works well or your turbo with an S400 or K31 is a good combo also that guys like----you have to watch out for the big kits that people say will work for towing, daily driving and racing/sledpulling----this is where you get in trouble-----basically you want your small turbo to act like it does for everyday driving and the big one to help it when you want that help---the bigger you go on the small turbo the same issues you have when using a bigger single---more lag, hotter temps for everyday driving, although as long as they are below 1200-1250 you're ok, but some guys don't like it when the cruising temps are 200-300* degrees hotter from what they are accustomed to---and the lag is something that some guys don't like either----chris

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
agreed, it not about size and bigger is not necessarily better. Its about efficiency and like csutton mentioned, turbo lag sucks, especially on a daily driver.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You both answered my questions. I know now that I can put together my own twins, but I am more comfortable waiting till Dave can get on here and say we have found a proven kit from BD for the 2nd Gen trucks. I was worried that BD forget about us guys! Until that time I will run my stock single and watch my EGT's. Thank you both.:thumbsup

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So if I purchased the Super B Special now, would I be safe when the upgrade for the 2nd Gen's bolt on kit comes out?

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you have the twins in your future on the second gen truck go with the regular Super B. The Special only goes into a "custom" race kit that we are testing. It would end up being too much turbo for a street driven truck. The regular Super B will upgrade into either the towing twins, or the R700 kit.:thumbsup

·
Registered
365 Posts
super b special on the highway at 75 mph, spools to 3-4 psi, it doesnt spool quick, onc eyou hit 7 psi, you can floor it and it hits 45 pretty much instantaneously, and i run edge level 5, 100hp sticks and get no more than 1300F on a long hard pull.
good strong turbo, but has lag.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Like, DRFTR said, if you do not mind some lag the Special is a great turbo, if lag is a concern because its your daily driver or you tow a lot off the hi-way, than stick with the single or go with twins!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
So if I purchased the Super B Special now, would I be safe when the upgrade for the 2nd Gen's bolt on kit comes out?
To answer this question... If you were looking to run the new Race Twins one step up from the R700's you could buy the special now and be able to upgrade to the newer twins later. I would not be comfortable with giving you a date the kit will be ready to ship as our R&D department is working 7 days a week right now just to keep up with the demand for 08 products.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So then answer me this please. Most turbos we run are 62,64,66mm and hot side a 71mm or somthing of that nature. I checked the BD site and I cant seem to find what are the measurements for the Super B and the Super B Special. Can you help me with that?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
So then answer me this please. Most turbos we run are 62,64,66mm and hot side a 71mm or somthing of that nature. I checked the BD site and I cant seem to find what are the measurements for the Super B and the Super B Special. Can you help me with that?
When you refer to 62,64,66 mm wheels are talking about Borg Warner Turbos that use extended fin-tip compressor wheels?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts