Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'v heard people talking about "turning up a turbo", but I want to know how to! I'd love for my turbo to work more efficiently. Currently, my max turbo psi NEVER goes over 14. Pretty weak when I hear of pressures on stock trucks hitting in the 20s and 30s. If someone could tell me what I'v got to do, then I'd love to tune up some more on my truck :) My truck is fully stock besides the Exhaust Brake that doesn't even work any more [lol] If someone could post up some free mods for my 1996 5.9L then I'd really appreciate it! Thanks! :yourock:

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
A stock turbo can handle 35psi without problems. Just get a boost elbow and you will be able to get more boost, as for turn up the fuel there is a plate you can slide that all the way forward, take the plate out, use a different plate, you can miss with the afc. None of these stuff really effects fuel mileage that much as long as you can keep your foot out of it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
put a hose clamp on your wastegate line.. tighten it down to pinch the line...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where could I get a decent "Boost Elbow"? Would a local auto parts store carry one? Or the Diesel Performance shop lol? For the fuel pump, I'v heard of all sorts of tuning for it. I wouldnt want to mess with any of it. Id rather have the job done correctly and with as little time as possible.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where near or on the turbo is the "wastegate" line or hose, whatever it is?

·
Registered
400 Posts
the rubber hose that runs off the turbo to the wastegate... put a hose clamp on that hose..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, i'll have to dig around under the hood for it. I know theres a couple lines that run to it for the oil and whatnot.

·
Registered
400 Posts
its a small diameter hose.... no bigger then 1/2 in.. most likely like 3/8...

·
Registered
400 Posts
tighten the clamp down then drive the truck/ keep tightening untill desired psi is reached..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So just take a hose clamp and clamp it off completely? Out of curiosity, what exactly travels though the wastegate hose?

·
Registered
400 Posts
dont clamp it completely.. you just want to restrict it..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright so then just minimal flow though it then :p What kinda of pressure can be gained by clamping the hose?

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Why isn't anybody telling him to turn his fuel up? :confused013:

More fuel gets you more boost. You have one of the easiest engines to "turn up". Be carefull though your transmission won't take much abuse.

·
Registered
400 Posts
5-10 psi...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll leave the fuel pump tuning to a more expierenced person lol. I dont know much about half the stuff I read. If its detailed enough and precise, I can follow it pretty simply.

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
I'll leave the fuel pump tuning to a more expierenced person lol. I dont know much about half the stuff I read. If its detailed enough and precise, I can follow it pretty simply.
No it's not. I just read the first response, so somebody did mention fuel. Sliding the fuel plate is easy. Grinding a plate is easy too, but I wouldn’t go there (grinding plate) until your transmission is built. I doubt your turbo is limiting itself. There isn't enough fuel to build boost. You could take the hose completely off to see what kind of maximum boost it will build. I bet you are a long way from 35psi.

·
Not like the others......
5,116 Posts
Ditto........More fuel=More boost
Just crimping the wastegate line or adding a boost elbow will accomplish little or nothing. You need to work on adding a little more fuel first.
Theirs lots of reading on how to do it, you just have to look.

BTW.....
:welcome: :headbang:

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Out of curiosity, what exactly travels though the wastegate hose?
air, When the turbo starts to overspool and make say 20psi the waste gate opens to let pressure and prevent it from over spooling, when you restrict this line it makes the wastegate think that it has 15psi instead of 20psi so now you will be able to make 25psi of boost

1 - 20 of 38 Posts